Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: zymurgy search  (Read 4361 times)

Offline abastard

• 1st Kit
zymurgy search
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:31:31 pm »
I must be stupid, but have never managed to find a way to search the archives. I think the presentation of the magazine by issue is a waste. If I wanted to read the magazine I would take my copy off the shelf and read it. I would like to search across all the archives available and go directly to the article. How do I get there?

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: zymurgy search
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:20 am »
I must be stupid, but have never managed to find a way to search the archives. I think the presentation of the magazine by issue is a waste. If I wanted to read the magazine I would take my copy off the shelf and read it. I would like to search across all the archives available and go directly to the article. How do I get there?

Are you using the online eZymurgy or the Zymurgy app?  Either way, you can search the content of all of the available issues.  With eZymurgy there's a check box when doing a search that allows you to select whether you wish to search the specific issue you are looking at, or the entire archive.  With the apps, if you search from the main page, where you are looking at the icon covers of multiple issues, you will be searching across all issues.  If you are already in a specific issue in the app, a search will only cover that issue you are in.

If you are using the Apple app, I would highly recommend updating to the latest version if you haven't already done so.  The latest version addresses several issues with the originally released app.  A similar update for the Android version will be out shortly.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline brewgene

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:19:18 am »
  I have been having the same issue. Especially when searching the archives in EZymurgy. It seems I am stuck in the new issue and when I search it is only searching the new issue even when I select the options. It might be because I am working on an iPad.
  The zymurgy app works better and much easier! ...but the archives only go back to 2008. I have read that the EZymurgy archive goes back to 2000 but again it seems I am unable to access them.
"A man IS what he THINKS about all day long" ~Emerson
"I guess today I am a beer!" ~Brewgene

Offline brewgene

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:34 am »
Sometimes you ask someone the question and that's when you find the answer yourself..  On an IPad, When in the current issue, double tap, the menu appears, tap the arrow icon in the left top corner, takes you to the zymurgy title menu, scroll to the right through the issue, then continue scrolling right and you will see the front pages of this years issues, scroll a little further, and click on the, SEE ALL, there you will find all the issues in EZymurgy back to 2000.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 09:23:34 am »
I haven't tried searching within eZymurgy, but the Zymurgy index lets you search all issues - even those not on eZymurgy - by keyword.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/archives
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline brewgene

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »
Thanks! You're right, you can search archives from that link. Maybe I wasn't clear, I was talking about the ability to search for and read the articles etc from archived issues within EZymurgy and the new zymurgy app. EZymurgy archives online currently go back to 2000. The search within EZymurgy does seem to only search within the issue you are currently viewing. The zymurgy app currently only archives issues back to 2008. The search in the zymurgy app searches all the issues the app has currently available back to 2008.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:25:04 pm by brewgene »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17:14 pm »
When you search zymurgy online, you can select all issues.  Current issue is the default.

Offline brewgene

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:30:20 pm »
I am currently searching and looking to read the articles in the 1999 special lager issue online within EZymurgy or the zymurgy app. Can you tell me how and where I can do that?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:36:04 pm by brewgene »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
It appears you know how to search zymurgy online.  When you click on the search icon in zymurgy online, you can check a box for all issues.

Offline brewgene

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:00 pm »
I'm sorry, maybe it's cause I am viewing on an IPad. Honestly, I read about the 1999 special lager issue from the joy of home brewing. In the book Charlie Papazian mentions it. Maybe I am confused what you mean by zymurgy online since I have only found EZymurgy and the zymurgy app. I really have not been able to search within EZymurgy or the zymurgy app about that issue or read the articles in it online. If anyone has found a way I can do that on an IPad please let me know.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:49:12 pm »
SAdly, at the moment, the archives only go back to 2000
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:57:09 pm »
Ya it would be fun to see how they made beer way back then. Though with all the innovation lately, I doubt some of those old recipes would even work now.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 12:16:32 am »
One of my favorite things to write was "A Darkness More Than Lager" solely for the fact of pulling up an old award winning recipe of John Maier's from a collection of ancient recipes that I have.

I double checked the recipe with John so that he would be ok with sharing something that antique and he provided an updated recipe.

Love that sort of stuff.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline abastard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:11 am »
Thanks for your help. The phrase "search this publication" was throwing me off, I took it as being the current (pictured) issue. Since the search does not include other publications, maybe the caption should be
"search Zymurgy"