Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best PH Meter  (Read 4043 times)

Offline homebrewing

• 1st Kit
    • HomeBrewing.com
Best PH Meter
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:10:24 am »
What's the best PH Meter on the market right now that everyone is using?
Christian Lavender - www.HomeBrewing.com

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Re: Best PH Meter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:36:44 am »
I like my Milwaukee MW 101. Replaceable probes, solid build, under $100.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:10:34 am »
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:43:12 am »
I just got the Milwaukee 102 http://www.water-testers.com/contents/en-us/p4325_milwaukee_mw102.html for my birthday.

Before that I used an Oakton pHTestr2
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:53:53 am »
I see all these say Automatic Temperature Correction. Does that mean it will read the same whether it's mash temps or room temp?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:15 am »
I see all these say Automatic Temperature Correction. Does that mean it will read the same whether it's mash temps or room temp?

No. You should still read the pH at room temp.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:44:20 am »
From the Bru'nwater FB page....

pH METER RECOMMENDATIONS

Although using Bru'n Water reduces the need for checking mash pH, it is still useful to have a good pH meter available to double check things. Here are some thoughts for those of you interested in buying a meter.

A quality meter and probe are desirable, but high quality often comes with a high price. On top of that, buying a very expensive meter doesn't avoid the fact that pH probes DO wear out and have to be replaced. So moderating the meter price is a good idea. A meter that costs around $100 can serve well.

I recommend buying a meter with a resolution of 0.01 units that helps the user tell when the pH reading is settling down. Sure, you don't really need to know the pH to a gnat's a$$, but it's nice to know the reading is stable. In addition, a meter with a replaceable probe can extend your investment. For that reason, I suggest that getting a meter and probe that uses a BNC-type connector will allow you to replace the probe with widely-available after-market probes. I find that a meter connnected to the probe with a cable is a little more versatile than the all-in-one units.

Something you WON'T need on your meter is Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC). That feature only compensates for the response of the pH meter's electrode with varying temperature. That feature does not compensate for the actual pH shift produced chemically in the mash. All mash pH measurement should be performed at room-temperature to avoid the measurement errors created by the temperature effects on the probe and chemically in the mash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell