Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oops - dumped ice in my kettle  (Read 2566 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
oops - dumped ice in my kettle
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:51 pm »
I accidentally dumped a quart of ice into my fermenter when trying to freshen my ice bath. I wasn't paying attention and poured the ice onto the lid which then tilted into the kettle and dropped in the ice.

Hoping for the best. The beer was already down to about 120F when it happened so too cool to kill any bugs I may have poured in with the ice.

I have a good krausen now but I am wondering if the bugs may lay relatively low while the yeast ferments then become apparent after flocculation when they have had time to reproduce.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: oops - dumped ice in my kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:37:31 pm »
it'll likely be fine for this batch, you may not want to reuse this yeast though.

I used ice to chill my wort ala alton brown until I got an IC and never had an issue. But I never reused yeast either.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:51:53 pm »
 ;D   I remember that episode of Good Eats.  It was kind of like homebrewing knowledge in general circa 92 or 93 when I started.  Did he strain out the crystal that he steeped ?  I could swear that he just boiled the whole mixture.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
I like Alton's turkey. Haven't seen the brewing one

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 04:45:59 pm »
I don' t know. I made some entirely acceptable homebrew with that method. he used a grian bag for the crystal and removed it before the boil. He even chilled to below 70 before pitching yeast. pretty decent technique actually. the ice chilling is a great way to chill wort low tech.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:50 pm »
Ok, my bad - hadn't seen it for awhile. Don't know where I got that idea. That's how I started out brewing too. And it sure beat the alternative which was mostly BMC then too.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »
I remember him wearing rubber gloves. Meanwhile I'm drinking beer and eating snacks while brewing.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 07:00:38 am »
I don' t know. I made some entirely acceptable homebrew with that method. he used a grian bag for the crystal and removed it before the boil. He even chilled to below 70 before pitching yeast. pretty decent technique actually. the ice chilling is a great way to chill wort low tech.
I think it was my third batch I brewed that I used the ice chilling method. I had 8 pounds of ice in my bucket, poured the 2 or so gallons of boiling wort on top. It didn't work out so well. For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to top up and pitch the yeast, just assuming the ice brought the temp down enough. But no, I felt the side of the bucket and it was warm in spots...whoops. That batch didn't turn out so well. Good times. Plus, store bought ice isn't necessarily the cleanest either. You risk contamination with that method.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 07:53:12 am »
I think it was my third batch I brewed that I used the ice chilling method. I had 8 pounds of ice in my bucket, poured the 2 or so gallons of boiling wort on top. It didn't work out so well. For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to top up and pitch the yeast, just assuming the ice brought the temp down enough. But no, I felt the side of the bucket and it was warm in spots...whoops. That batch didn't turn out so well. Good times. Plus, store bought ice isn't necessarily the cleanest either. You risk contamination with that method.

yeah you gotta use the whole remaining volume in ice or it won't bring the temp down enough. Good point on store bought ice by the way. I never did have a problem
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 09:15:45 am »
it'll likely be fine for this batch, you may not want to reuse this yeast though.

I used ice to chill my wort ala alton brown until I got an IC and never had an issue. But I never reused yeast either.

You bought an ion chromatograph?  Nice!  They are pretty pricey.  Not your basic pH stick, for sure.  ;D

+1 on the don't worry about the ice fail.  The established yeast are pretty good at protecting their territory from invaders. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:17:23 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 09:52:36 am »
I always thought the ice was a brilliant idea.  The math is easy to calculate (assuming you know your boil volume well enough) and you can't beat how fast it gets you to pitching temperatures.  If I wasn't now doing full wort boils, I would do it that way by freezing bottled water the night before.

Brown took his lumps from some uptight homebrewers on what he did in the show, such as keeping the steeping grains in the brew pot, and he did later apologize and made process changes and posted them to his blog, but I still think that was an excellent show on homebrewing.  Like all his Good Eats shows, he explained the how and the why and showed you how easy it is.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 10:48:30 am »
I always thought the ice was a brilliant idea.  The math is easy to calculate (assuming you know your boil volume well enough) and you can't beat how fast it gets you to pitching temperatures.  If I wasn't now doing full wort boils, I would do it that way by freezing bottled water the night before.

Brown took his lumps from some uptight homebrewers on what he did in the show, such as keeping the steeping grains in the brew pot, and he did later apologize and made process changes and posted them to his blog, but I still think that was an excellent show on homebrewing.  Like all his Good Eats shows, he explained the how and the why and showed you how easy it is.

It simply made me doubt a lot of the other stuff he said on the show.  The good part was that it made me do my own research and reach my own conclusions.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:26 am »
You dare doubt The Alton?!  Heresy!!   ;D

(Anyone who wears an undershirt under an aloha shirt is suspect in my book)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907