Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Randall  (Read 4979 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Randall
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »
Can anyone explain why I would spend $288.00 on a Randall to infuse my beers with stuff (made of plastic, nonetheless) when I could buy the multipurpose Blichmann HopRocket (made of stainless) for $125?

That is, in this theoretical world where I need to spend more money on this hobby.  ::)

Because Randall's are mostly just a gimmick, and people like to see whatever you are loading in the Randall chamber. and you can't see jack behind a stainless steel hop rocket Randall. Just sayin

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
Can anyone explain why I would spend $288.00 on a Randall to infuse my beers with stuff (made of plastic, nonetheless) when I could buy the multipurpose Blichmann HopRocket (made of stainless) for $125?

That is, in this theoretical world where I need to spend more money on this hobby.  ::)

Because Randall's are mostly just a gimmick, and people like to see whatever you are loading in the Randall chamber. and you can't see jack behind a stainless steel hop rocket Randall. Just sayin
I don't agree they are a gimmick.  They very clearly and drastically alter the flavor and aroma of a beer running through them.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »
Well, yeah. They do change the character of the beer. But from a commercial standpoint I can assure you that there is a massive dose of novelty going on here. For instance, a Randall filled with sour patch kids definitely changes the character of the beer. But not in a good wAy. People try it because if the novelty.

Hell, I even tried it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:02 pm »
Wait, there's sour patch kids beer? I gotta get me some now!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 08:35:11 pm »
Wait, there's sour patch kids beer? I gotta get me some now!

+1
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 08:46:35 pm »
Are they better than charging Randal with Nerds?   :-\
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »
Sorry I only had hops in a randall before.  It usually changes the beer...and I feel oftentimes for the better.  I have no doubt you could put plenty of things in it to make your beer terrible.... Just as you can put plenty of things in the beer itself during the process of making it to make it terrible... It's just another tool.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:04 pm »

You could easily cover the white plastic parts with metal and make the whole thing look more steampunk.

We've used a randall with coffee beans, that was good.  I've tried a beer with fruit in the randall, that was not good.  You can do lots of stuff.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 05:48:19 am »
Sorry I only had hops in a randall before.  It usually changes the beer...and I feel oftentimes for the better.  I have no doubt you could put plenty of things in it to make your beer terrible.... Just as you can put plenty of things in the beer itself during the process of making it to make it terrible... It's just another tool.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. People want to SEE what's in the Randall. That's the gimmick part.

Like I said earlier, I did a Randall with centennial, Columbus and citra with crushed grapefruit in second chamber and it was fantastically good. So no argument from me that there can be a positive contribution to the beer. But the beer drinker enjoys seeing his beer pushed through the Randall as much or more than flavor contribution. That's why a clear Randall is a must if doing events.

If your just doing it at home, not do much.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:50:26 am by majorvices »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 08:46:52 am »
I've only seen these locally with breweries using what looks like a water filter without the carbon filter.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 10:16:30 am »
yeah usually individuals don't make/buy them for themselves... My homebrew club has one that we use for events.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:02 am »
A freind of mine, who also happens to be the engineering manager at Dogfish, and a member of my homebrew club has a Randall. I've had beer infused with some gourmet coffe beans through the Randall that was really nice. It's pretty neat watching the beer travel through it. I'd love to have one. On the expensive side, but very cool.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 11:23:01 am »
Sam Calagione attended a Sunshine Challenge in Orlando 10-12 years ago.  He brought Randal with him.  It was pretty cool, albeit the beer was a bit foamy.  It looks as if they've fixed the foaming problem with the second chamber.

All this hand wringing about PVC and plastic - from people who only brew and serve their beers using glass and stainless steel, no doubt.   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:11 am »
A freind of mine, who also happens to be the engineering manager at Dogfish, and a member of my homebrew club has a Randall. I've had beer infused with some gourmet coffe beans through the Randall that was really nice. It's pretty neat watching the beer travel through it. I'd love to have one. On the expensive side, but very cool.

We built our for about $75

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 01:05:08 pm »
All this hand wringing about PVC and plastic - from people who only brew and serve their beers using glass and stainless steel, no doubt.   ::)
At least half of the fun of the randall is watching the beer go through.  I think that would be enhanced if it looked like a weird old contraption, but that is purely aesthetic.
Tom Schmidlin