Author Topic: Brewer's Bio- Matt Boyd  (Read 409 times)

Offline humpadilo

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Brewer's Bio- Matt Boyd
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »

Hello all! My name is Matt Boyd and I live in Leander, TX. I just got into homebrewing last year. I haven't joined a club yet but I went to a homebrew rally at the Jester King this past wekend and the club hosting it was The Texas Carboys. It turns out they are close to me so I am planning on going to their next meeting.
My favorite beer I have brewed is a raspberry tart from Austin Homebrew Supply.I know, I know, but it's not very fruity and it's light. I have a Whiskey Barrel Vanilla Porter with Maker's Mark that I am pretty excited about also. I will brew pretty much anything. I love to try new beers (and food!).
My first beer was an Oktoberfest my wife got me from Amazon. It was horrible because I had no idea what I was doing and I followed the instructions that came with the kit. One of my buddies knew someone that brewed and he told me about Austin Homebew Supplies. I went there to get my next kit. I was surprised with how different their instructions were. I got an Alaskan Amber clone, and man! It was so good. So, really I consider my second brew my first.
I brew about every 2 weeks or so. I started out doing mini mash recipes and after about 8-10 brews I decided I wanted to go all grain. I didn't know anyone else that homebrewed so I decided to do BIAB. I love it! So easy to do and the beer is great! I think I am going to stick with that. When I moved to all grain I moved my equipment outside.
My full time job is a Medic in the Texas Army National Guard. I am so glad I found this hobby. Now I try to submerege myself in all aspects of homebrewing. I listen to The Brewing Network in my car instead of radio and the books I read are all to improve my brewing. Also, i am always trying to convert others to become a homebrewer. I am looking forward to when I finally submit my first beer to competition.

Online HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer's Bio- Matt Boyd
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
Welcome Matt !  You came to the right place. A bunch of good people here with the best advice on the net. Cheers !
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer's Bio- Matt Boyd
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Welcome and thanks for your service.