Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blichmann Boilermaker pots  (Read 5646 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Blichmann Boilermaker pots
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »
I recently started using these pots, and I must say the way the tube creates a bit of a siphon, it leaves less than a quart of wort after transfer to the fermenter.  And that's a 1bbl batch.  But, I don't like putting my hops in bags.  In my old keggle system, I used a bazooka screen, and just threw the hops in.  Never an issue. 

I'm fearful if I do this now, it will clog the tube.

Any words of wisdom from Boilermaker users?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Blichmann Boilermaker pots
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:56:35 pm »
can you redirect the pickup inlet towards the periphery of the kettle? then your whirlpool should move the gunk to the side and you'll only get clean wort.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 03:00:50 pm »
The inlet goes in the pot, and makes a 90 degree turn to the bottom after about 2 inches, so it's already there.  The "gunk" whirlpools to the center just fine.  Do you think the hops would whirlpool nicely to the center as well?  Some of my recipes have over a pound of hops. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:17:28 pm »
The inlet goes in the pot, and makes a 90 degree turn to the bottom after about 2 inches, so it's already there.  The "gunk" whirlpools to the center just fine.  Do you think the hops would whirlpool nicely to the center as well?  Some of my recipes have over a pound of hops.

Ahh, as I understand it the whole hops don't whirlpool so well. are you using pellets? I find those whirlpool just fine but not whole cone.

I've seen those hop blockers that look like a tin measuring cup with holes drilled in it that sets on top of the inlet pipe inside the kettle, that might work.

Just guessing now :o
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 03:22:59 pm »

Ahh, as I understand it the whole hops don't whirlpool so well. are you using pellets? I find those whirlpool just fine but not whole cone.

I've seen those hop blockers that look like a tin measuring cup with holes drilled in it that sets on top of the inlet pipe inside the kettle, that might work.

Just guessing now :o

I have one of the hop blockers that you are talking about.  A friend gave it to me when I got the Boilermakers.  He didn't need it, because he uses whole hops, and the thing is made for pellets.  Maybe I'll try it, and see how it goes.  I really do prefer whole hops.  Don't know why really.  Probably just the "cool factor"

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 03:26:02 pm »
Here's what Blichmann says:

PLEASE NOTE: The HopBlocker is designed for use with pellet hops only. Whole/loose hops will plug the unit. While using whole hops, or a mix of whole and pellet hops, you must bag your whole hops in a large muslin grain bag. This will not effect the utilization rate and will result in significantly less wort loss. - See more at: http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/hopblocker%E2%84%A2#sthash.GNxlvRRt.dpuf

(there has got to be a way to NOT use bags. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
Here's what Blichmann says:

PLEASE NOTE: The HopBlocker is designed for use with pellet hops only. Whole/loose hops will plug the unit. While using whole hops, or a mix of whole and pellet hops, you must bag your whole hops in a large muslin grain bag. This will not effect the utilization rate and will result in significantly less wort loss. - See more at: http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/hopblocker%E2%84%A2#sthash.GNxlvRRt.dpuf

(there has got to be a way to NOT use bags.

The only other thing I've seen that seems like it might work well is either a false bottom which is fairly spendy I would think. or some form of 'hop spider'.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »
Thanks.

I've considered both options, but have heard that using Blichmann's false bottoms in the boilpot is not a good idea.  (I do have one, though)  Something about it trapping hot wort under the false bottom. 

The hops spider seems to be the best option.  And I've looked at a few.  I may make my own, as it will have to be fairly large, plus to get the "legs" all the way to the edge of a 55 gallon pot is gonna take some length.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 04:06:54 pm »
I use one of these http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php and love it.  Very clean wort coming out of the boil kettle.  And no decrease in hop utilization
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:49:23 pm »
Yeah, the hopspider is probably your best bet.  But you realize its just a big ass hop sock that you have to clean.  The hop blocker works OK with pellets, not with whole cone.  If you're pumping, the peripheral trick wont work with whole cone either.  There is a product called the hop stopper (hop taco) same idea. I have one but I haven't tried it yet.  I just like the muslin socks.  Easy, and my 17 gallon boils are plenty hoppy.  A
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »
+1 to the spider.  Helps a lot.
Jon H.

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 07:07:32 pm »
When I bought my Boilermaker 20 gallon kettle a few years ago, I also bought the optional boil screen and shield.  It is a dandy accessory that attaches to the bottom of the dip-tube, and catches hops and trub.  Works great with whole hops, and when I use pellet hops I usually bag them.  But it was discontinued.  That's unfortunate, I've made dozens of brews using it and it is perfect for keeping trub out of the Therminator.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 07:09:34 pm »
There are a few products you can try.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hop-stopper
http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Spider-with-seam-welds_p_158.html

I havent tried the first option but i have a hop spider from zach and love it!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »
Also, While the legs of the SS hop Spider are not super long, zach is very helpful and will make you custom legs if you contact him i would think.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline buzzny

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:25 pm »
I have a 55  Blichmann kettle and still use bags for my hops. After boil goes through Therminator then pumps to conicals. Works good. I am interested in a stainless steel mesh screen to try out to make it even easier. May do this within the next couple of months.