Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How low can I go?  (Read 4755 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: How low can I go?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 05:45:59 pm »
I agree Denny and Jim...  about half way.  I would totally agree if I was talking about entering a competition.  And I would totally not agree simply because you and everyone else knew what I was asking.  So yes, it is I suppose a lazy, inaccurate but efficient way of asking my question.

Anyway, I do appreciate the input.  I know now I can't go as low as I was thinking without producing a wretched beer.  I think I'll try the mild route.

The bottom line is that IPAs are my favorite style but I'm getting tired of only having one or two a night.  And I'm even more tired of the *%$# hangover lethargy when I drink more.

So yes, I do want it all: perfect flavor, low calories, and perfect health.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 09:34:15 pm »
I'm not a fan of session IPAs in general... but I do agree that when you see one on a menu listed as a session IPA there is no doubt in my mind exactly what it is.  Would you rather they called it a pale ale?  I would be surprised if I ordered a pale ale with that much hop juice.  What label would you want on it if not session IPA.  There used to be a time when double IPA wasn't a style either.... Gotta evolve with the times.  If you hear a name and know exactly what to expect then it's doing it's job as far as I'm concerned.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 09:45:23 pm »
I'm still confused by the whole session IPA thing.  I've always just assumed that a "session" IPA was a pale ale.  Then again, Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale is 6.5ABV.   :o
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:52:11 am »
A session IPA could just as easily be called a hoppy blond ale or some other name but let's be real honest: the only reason why "session IPA" was picked it because IPA sells and blond ale doesn't.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »

A session IPA could just as easily be called a hoppy blond ale or some other name but let's be real honest: the only reason why "session IPA" was picked it because IPA sells and blond ale doesn't.

Exactly right IMHO.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 01:58:44 pm »
I'm not a fan of session IPAs in general... but I do agree that when you see one on a menu listed as a session IPA there is no doubt in my mind exactly what it is.  Would you rather they called it a pale ale?  I would be surprised if I ordered a pale ale with that much hop juice.  What label would you want on it if not session IPA.  There used to be a time when double IPA wasn't a style either.... Gotta evolve with the times.  If you hear a name and know exactly what to expect then it's doing it's job as far as I'm concerned.

OK, you make a good point. But call it something that makes sense. "Session IPA" is just dumb. How about "Hoppy Pale Ale".

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 04:40:15 pm »
How about Session Barleywine?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 05:30:14 pm »
I think "Hoppy Session" isn't bad.  I have to agree with dkfick though.  While Session IPA may sound like a silly misnomer as most IPAs are between 5 -7.5%, it at least gives the drinker an accurate expectation - lower abv and IPA flavor profile. Pale ale doesn't cut it.  As said, styles are evolving - even Gordon said that style descriptions for IPA (and other styles) will be expanded and redefined.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »
So I am thinking about brewing a very low alcohol IPA.  I still want all the beer flavor, just really low ABV.

So how do I balance this out?  How low have you brewed an IPA, and were you happy with it?

To get back to yso191's op...

The way I read it he subtly points out that he wants full IPA flavor and very low alcohol. His comment on balancing I think indicates he knows you can't have both. There were a lot of good suggestions on what he should try.

Then we sparked this debate on what to call things. I think that brewers should call their beer whatever they want. But if you're going to take it public or enter it in a BJCP judged event, wisdom would dictate speaking the same language.

So, that being said  can an IPA be made with very little alcohol? Sure. And can an IPA be made with very little alcohol? No.