Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leinenkugel Big Eddy Wee Heavy  (Read 3070 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Leinenkugel Big Eddy Wee Heavy
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:50 pm »
Maybe it's because my expectations are relatively low for a Leinenkugel brew, but I am legit blown away by this beer. The nose is deep toast with some toffee, raisins and maybe some cherries. The flavor is pretty complex. I get more cherries and raisins, along with a nice dark, toasted whole wheat bread note.

There are some rich caramel notes that hint at sweetness, but it is not cloying in any way. There is a little bit of tartness and some smokiness in the finish that balance out the sweetness perfectly. Because there are so many layers here you get fleeting notes of things like milk chocolate and scotch. And even though it clocks in at 9.5% ABV, it isn't boozy in any way. This beer is very drinkable, bordering on poundable.

After two sips this beer had me regretting that I don't drink Scottish ales more often. Belhaven used to be a staple in my fridge years back. Looks like a 70/- into a Wee Heavy will have to be on my brew docket this spring.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Leinenkugel Big Eddy Wee Heavy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 05:38:32 am »
I guess SAB/Miller/Coors is finally doing something right.  They're hitting the market from two dozen different angles now it seems, not focusing just on one or two brands.  The Blue Moon offerings are okay, I like the Batch 19, I have not tasted the Third Shift Amber yet but I'm willing.... but I certainly agree that Big Eddy is where it's at.  Here's hoping Big Eddy gets a LOT BIGGER!  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:56:24 am »
I've tried most of the Big Eddy series and while he wee heavy is good it's not my favorite.  It was a little too smoky for my tastes.  The imperial stout and uber Oktoberfest are my favorites.  The ryewine and Baltic Porter are solid too.  Definitely craft beer, but I hear Miller-Coors pretty much keeps their hands off the Leinenkugel brand.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:07:48 am »
Definitely craft beer, but I hear Miller-Coors pretty much keeps their hands off the Leinenkugel brand.

How do we explain Sunset Wheat, then?
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:16:22 am »
Looks like a 70/- into a Wee Heavy will have to be on my brew docket this spring.

Same here. I haven't made a Wee Heavy in a couple years.  I did a split batch on the last one with half getting bourbon-soaked oak chips (ala Founders Backwoods Bastard). Mighty tasty.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:39:20 am »
I've always passed on the Big Eddy beers because I've never enjoyed the Leinenkugel beers but maybe I should give some of them a shot.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 04:10:35 pm »
Definitely craft beer, but I hear Miller-Coors pretty much keeps their hands off the Leinenkugel brand.

I don't know. I'm going by something a friend who works for MC told me.  Why does anyone brew an American Wheat?  I'm guessing a business decision- there's a market for American Wheat.  Probably the same reason there's a BMC. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 05:18:10 pm »

I don't know. I'm going by something a friend who works for MC told me.  Why does anyone brew an American Wheat?  I'm guessing a business decision- there's a market for American Wheat.  Probably the same reason there's a BMC.

Hey not all American wheat beers have to be overly sweet messes.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »

Hey not all American wheat beers have to be overly sweet messes.

They don't have to be but most I've tried are.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:31:16 pm »
I've tried most of the Big Eddy series and while he wee heavy is good it's not my favorite.  It was a little too smoky for my tastes.  The imperial stout and uber Oktoberfest are my favorites.  The ryewine and Baltic Porter are solid too.  Definitely craft beer, but I hear Miller-Coors pretty much keeps their hands off the Leinenkugel brand.

I agree...it's pretty good, but the smoky character is not really appropriate IMNSHO.  Still, that's their interpretation and it's very well made... and proof that the bigs are headed in the right direction in terms of 'craft' product.
The next few years are going to be mighty interesting as the bigger companies (eiher via their own labels or via breweries they acquire) roll out more and more real beer.  There will undoubtedly be built in prejudices against some of them from the hard core geeks, but in the end I think that over all, it will be a very good thing for the industry. 
It will "up" everyone's game.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 09:52:22 pm »

I agree...it's pretty good, but the smoky character is not really appropriate IMNSHO.  Still, that's their interpretation and it's very well made... and proof that the bigs are headed in the right direction in terms of 'craft' product.

Maybe the bottle I picked up had a little age on it, but I found the smokiness to be pretty subtle. Maybe a touch more than what you typically see in the style, but it fit very well to my palate.
Eric B.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 10:37:05 pm »

Maybe the bottle I picked up had a little age on it, but I found the smokiness to be pretty subtle. Maybe a touch more than what you typically see in the style, but it fit very well to my palate.
The smoke was subtle compared to other "craft" wee heavy and strongs.  For example, Sam Adams Wee Heavy (for the record I like Boston Beer Co. and respect Mr. Koch) was way too smokey for my tastes and what I've read authentic Scotch Ale should taste like (smoke is inappropriate for the style).  Honestly, if I had the Leinenkugel next to a real scotch ale I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference as subtle smoke flavor may come from the yeast.  The Leinenkugel was probably the best American version other than Old Chub.  Not the point though.  The Big Eddy series is legit and I will try any of their offerings.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »
Glad to hear the review. I picked up a four pack a couple of days ago for $4. Also got the RIS for the same price. At the normal price I would have passed, but I grew up with Leinies, so I thought I'd give em a chance. Looking forward to it now.
Kyle M.