Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apollo hops  (Read 3406 times)

cornershot

Apollo hops
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:20:49 pm »
I've brewed a few small beers recently with second runnings from big beers and I've used the opportunity to play with hopping techniques. With one I bittered with Horizon and added an ounce of Apollo at flameout, followed by a 20 minute hop stand and it resulted in a really pleasant, dank hop aroma and flavor.
With another batch I bittered with Horizon and then dry hopped with an ounce of Apollo and got a really unpleasant onion/garlic flavor.
A previous batch of IPA was late hopped with Summit and dry hopped with Apollo and had the same onion/garlic thing. I blamed the Summit but now I'm not so sure.
I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experience with Apollo: late hop=good,  dry hop=bad.

coastsidemike

Re: Apollo hops
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:32 pm »
I just made a 10g batch, a whole-hop Apollo IPA, but with half of it dry-hopped with Apollo and the other half dry-hopped with Cascade.  The hops are a year old, I picked them up from HopsDirect and forgot about them.  The all Apollo has a notable apricot taste to it, not too far off from a Chinook but kinda more interesting if not complex, and nowhere near 'dank'.  The one with Cascade is really well balanced on hop flavor; seems like a great match.

The house IPA hop schedule I'm working on does not to go for bitterness (45 IBU/1.070 OG) but is heavy towards the end with hop additions.   Dry-hopped with 3.5 oz in each 5g.

The only hops I've had trouble with are Willamette pellets, they just kinda steadily went to that 'dirt' flavor over time.  To your question, I'd rather stick with more predictable hops for the dry hop (Centennial, Cascade and so on), but love this one in the boil.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:50:42 pm by surfin_mikeg »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Apollo hops
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 07:00:32 am »
I did a test batch using all Apollo hops (FWH + flameout + dry hops). I got no onion/sulfur at all, and I'm pretty sensitive to it. I can't use Summit because of the onion/parmesan thing it has going on. I'm a huge fan of Apollo, to the point where it has become one of my main IPA hops. I get a really nice Amarillo-like orange flavor plus a nice Columbus-like dank note.

I really think that the onion component of hops is dependent on growing/harvest conditions, so maybe try it from another supplier.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer