General Category > Beer Recipes

Summer Shandy Clone

(1/2) > >>

ffdfireman:
Hi everyone.  I've been trying to come up with a beer I can make that my wife may actually enjoy.  She hasn't been a fan of much of what I've made so far; so I thought I'd try something I know she likes.  She loves Leinie's Summer Shandy, so I've tried to get some info on it.  From the website I learned that they use Pale and Wheat for the malts and for hops they use Cluster.  Then the desription says that actually blend fresh lemonade in the fermenter (I think secondary).  This is where my knowledge gets limited.

Has anyone seen, made or willing to share a reliable clone recipe for this brew.
Thanks in advance.

denny:
30 years ago, I was doing rock'n'roll tours and almost all the other roadies were English or Australian.  They were into shandy, though they mixed them themselves.  They told me it was beer and lemonade, so imagine my surprise when they mixed beer with 7 Up!  Turns out that's what they call "lemonade"!

rjharper:
"lemonade" to us Brits, is a clear soda, not unlike Sierra Mist or 7-Up, but less "citrusy".  Its really just soda water, sugar and lemon juice.  Its really rather bland.  I wouldn't want to mix US style lemonade with beer, unless it was a light wheat, then it might be ok...

denny:

--- Quote from: rjharper on March 31, 2010, 12:53:30 PM ---I wouldn't want to mix US style lemonade with beer, unless it was a light wheat, then it might be ok...

--- End quote ---

I had a guy who thought he was making a shandy hand me an American pale ale mixed with American style lemonade....it was NOT a good thing!

parkerd21:
Shandy, is what alot of younger beer drinkers in England and Australia drink. Although older folks drink it as well. Most often it's a lager or pilsner type beer with "lemonade" which as has been pointed out is similar to Sprite, Sierra Mist, or 7UP. I have found that Sprite is the closest to british lemonade. I would suggest you make a lager or pils and mix it yourself when the beer is ready.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version