Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lottery  (Read 5532 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Lottery
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:18 am »
Homebrewing used to be like a bowling league.  Now it's become a game show!   :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:25 am »
You could have saved us a lot of time and effort by simply posting this previously :)
And deny you the journey? Never!  ;) 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:45 am »
Why not just do the same thing the BA does for World Beer Cup (and frankly should also do for GABF)?

1. Figure out how many beers are realistic to judge in each region based on previous years, projected help this year, etc.
2. Open registration for 2 weeks.
3. Divide number of beers by number of registrations to give you number of beers each person can enter.

Ultimately if there is a cap of let's say 2000 entries in a specific region, the fact that 1500 of them are Pale Ales shouldn't necessarily matter.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 08:45:24 am »
Re: #3...
Since we know only members are getting in now, it would seem like tracking by AHA number wouldn't be that hard.  But assuredly there's difficulties I have no idea even exist, so OK...

I would submit that any winner of one of the 4 major individual awards should get some guaranteed entries, if they want them, for life.  I'd let you sort out how many.  Sort of a "Green Jacket." 

Adding giving single-year guarantees to the 84 medal winners doesn't seem altogether unfair - I think any medal winner deserves a chance to defend it if they want.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 08:51:24 am »
#4 is very likely to happen, the more volunteers the more entries we can judge, and that helps with a lot of these problems.

one more thing - will additional volunteerism mean additional entries?  Let's say I judged at two different regions last year, as well as the Finals.  Is that valued any higher than someone who just helped out at one region?

...tough call I'd not want to have to make.  Good luck.   ;D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 12:48:11 pm »
Why not just do the same thing the BA does for World Beer Cup (and frankly should also do for GABF)?

1. Figure out how many beers are realistic to judge in each region based on previous years, projected help this year, etc.
2. Open registration for 2 weeks.
3. Divide number of beers by number of registrations to give you number of beers each person can enter.

Ultimately if there is a cap of let's say 2000 entries in a specific region, the fact that 1500 of them are Pale Ales shouldn't necessarily matter.
This is essentially what we are doing.  What happens though, when #3 means that each brewer gets to enter 0.5 beers?  I think that is the problem we are up against, but we won't know until we have open registration and assess the demand.  If we get 4000 people registering for 8000 beers, everyone will get to enter 2.  But if we get 16000 people entering for those same 8000 entries then we will need to leave some people out.

Re: #3...
Since we know only members are getting in now, it would seem like tracking by AHA number wouldn't be that hard.  But assuredly there's difficulties I have no idea even exist, so OK...
I do favor this proposal, but it's not entirely up to me.  The issue is that using NHC winners one year to give entries to the NHC for the next year means that you have to break in to the winners circle to have any confidence you can enter without being a volunteer.  I know, everyone should volunteer, right?  Well, not everyone lives close to a judging center, kids have birthdays, people go on vacation, some people work weekends - it is not always realistic for people to help out.  I missed out on a local barleywine festival 4 years in a row because they kept scheduling it on weekends when I had other obligations.  Which leaves busy folks with the lottery as their only way of getting a foot in the door, unless you make some allowance for winning OTHER competitions, which is where the tracking becomes a complete nightmare.

one more thing - will additional volunteerism mean additional entries?  Let's say I judged at two different regions last year, as well as the Finals.  Is that valued any higher than someone who just helped out at one region?

...tough call I'd not want to have to make.  Good luck.   ;D
I don't think we lack volunteers for the final round, so I would not expect to get entries for helping out there.  In fact, maybe we should track who comes to the conference and deduct entries from those who DON'T help in the final round. :)

Whether you get extra entries for judging at multiple first round sites remains to be seen.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 12:58:25 pm »
(not stirring things, I swear)
Hypothetically, under what you're describing, there could be 4,000 entrants two beers each. Who decides what styles? If the entrant chooses isn't it possible/probable you could end up with no entries in some styles?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:55 pm »
(not stirring things, I swear)
Hypothetically, under what you're describing, there could be 4,000 entrants two beers each. Who decides what styles? If the entrant chooses isn't it possible/probable you could end up with no entries in some styles?
The brewers choose what to enter, they always have and I think that's the right way to do it.  If some style ends up with no entries I don't care - if people don't want to brew and enter a category why should we even have it?  I would rather add a separate category for Triple IPA than force a few hundred people to enter a Tomato Weizen.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:40 pm »
Hey, I brew an awesome tomato/wheat beer!   But that's not where it ends.  (TPW)  ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 01:17:11 pm »
Hey, I brew an awesome tomato/wheat beer!   But that's not where it ends.  (TPW)  ;D
And I have an awesome pet unicorn. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 01:18:31 pm »
Could you dry celery the tomato weizen?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 01:27:56 pm »
If my wife reads this, she will hurl.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:40 pm »

Funny stuff !   :D
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 03:14:50 pm »
Good point Tom. Then one could surmise that gold in IPA means more than a gold in MaterWeisen.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »
Tom, I have not judged second round, as I would want a better judge than me evaluating my second round beers.  :D

Have done first round. Will again if no conflicts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!