Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First use of washed yeast...delayed start?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline apple

• Cellarman
  • Converting grains to good times, one mug at a time
First use of washed yeast...delayed start?
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:43:10 am »
I brewed my second batch of http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/dead-ringer-ipa-extract-kit.html yesterday. Last August I washed yeast (Wyeast 1056) from my first batch and have had it in the fridge ever since.

This is my first time using washed yeast and was really nervous about messing up a batch. I did a 1.5L starter about 18 hours before pitching. That thing was rocking and rolling within a few hours. It actually had a bit of a head when I turned the stir plate off. I pitched the whole thing into my 5 gallon batch.

I was really surprised when the air lock wasn't bubbling within a few hours. In fact, because I was cooling down from about 74 F to 67 F, the airlock was actually sucking backwards slightly. By this morning it was still at a slightly negative pressure (by that I mean the s-shaped airlock was more full on the carboy side than the vent side.)

It was time for some action. I gave the corboy a good swirling. This released quite a bit of pent up gas and the airlock foamed. I've done that a couple times now and it seems to be starting up fermentation slowly now.

Questions: I assume things are going to pick up now and ferment normally. Does this lag mean I've wasted the advantages of my starter? If this turns out to be the equivalent of underpitching, what might I expect in terms off flavors in the beer?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: First use of washed yeast...delayed start?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:15 am »
I'm not sure that you're lag time is out of the realm of normal. Its sounds like you're going to be fine.

FWIW, I don't "wash" anymore. I wasn't seeing enough advantage for the added work and risk of contamination. When I rack I leave a bit of beer covering the cake. I swirl that and the cake until there's nothing stuck to the bottom. Then pour it into a sanitized quart jar. Put lid on and pop it in the fridge. I try to use it within a month but two or three would probably be fine. I normally use a 2000ml stir starter with about 150ml of the settled slurry.

But it sounds to me like you're going to be fine.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:41:42 pm »
Last August? Like 2012? If that's the case, then I would certainly expect yeast that old to be sluggish after only 1 stepup.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 04:09:40 pm »
You were crash cooling while pitching the yeast. This should never be do e, even with an active starter. Never pitch any strain above 68 and preferably much cooler.

When you are cooling a beer during fermentation it should not be more than 2 degrees per day because the yeast perceive crashing temps as a sign to go dormant.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »
Rereading your post: You are also really worried about nothing. Most healthy fermentation a don't have active visual fermentation until after 12-24 hours. There's really no reason for you to expect a fermentation to start until after 12 hours. In fact that may be a signal you over pitched or pitched too warm.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:16:16 pm by majorvices »

Offline apple

• Cellarman
  • Converting grains to good times, one mug at a time
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »
erockrph, I meant August 2013.

I never thought about it as crash cooling. I have so much to learn! My cooling setup is pretty slow and I thought I would get away with cooling it down to 68 over several hours. I'm hoping by the end of the year to have a full boil size pot and a wort chiller. I should be able to hit target temp easier then.

majorvices, In other words relax? lol. I may be a little bit too much like an expectant parent when I brew. I just WANT IT SO BAD.  ;)

It's still been slow going all day btw. It is definitely percolating more, but still just a couple bubbles per minute in the air lock. I will try my hardest to relax. On the bright side I always learn something when I ask my silly questions. Thanks!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
I've yet to have identical batches act identically. Usually similar but I don't think you can set your watch to them. It sounds to me like your are in the ballpark of normal though.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:56 am »

I never thought about it as crash cooling. I have so much to learn! My cooling setup is pretty slow and I thought I would get away with cooling it down to 68 over several hours. I'm hoping by the end of the year to have a full boil size pot and a wort chiller. I should be able to hit target temp easier then.
If you can get it down to 68 overnight then just pitch your yeast the next day.  I do it all of the time when I brew during the summer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:40:47 am »

If you can get it down to 68 overnight then just pitch your yeast the next day.  I do it all of the time when I brew during the summer.

+1
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:16:05 am »
I rarely pitch much above 60 anymore.  Belgians, even.  I'm decanting from a starter that was crash cooled in the fridge, so I let them free rise or add heat after pitching...so I don't worry about a sluggish start.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"