Author Topic: Gusher from the bottle. Why?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline singletrack brewer

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Gusher from the bottle. Why?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
Glad there are no ruffled feathers or anything. Anyway, yes the more we iron out issues the better the beer will be and that's why we are all here.  Now, back to helping the OP with the issue at hand.
Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
15 replies with help and no word from the op, who is still on post #1.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
15 replies but less than 24 hours.  Give it time.  Not everyone checks 10 times a day :)

I would lean towards dirty bottle too.

Keith, you're not talking about opening warm bottles are you, just bottles that have been warmed up?  Do you have any of those bottles left?  And good notes from your brewing?  You could take one of those bottles, degas it, and check the gravity to see if it is lower than it was at bottling.  You'd have to compare it to one of your IPAs made without US05 to see how that affects the gravity too.

I would say you could check the carbonation in the bottle, but I doubt you have the equipment to do that.  I know a brewery around here that does, the machine pierces the cap with a needle and measures the pressure.  Pretty cool equipment, but not free :)

You don't use US05 for any of your other beers?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
15 replies but less than 24 hours.  Give it time.  Not everyone checks 10 times a day :)

Thats right some of us check twice that amount.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »

Thats right some of us check twice that amount.

My first thought too, "only 10 times a day?".   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »
Is there a limit?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Gusher from the bottle. Why?
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
Is there a limit?

Only if you're entering a comp;)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 05:36:31 AM »
In my case, I'm pretty sure all the beers are beers that were packaged cold, then went to stores and sat on warm shelves (I cringe) for weeks then purchased, refrigerated and opened.

We thought we had solved the problem, then on the last batch of IPA I packaged I gave a case to a friend who had helped me with stuff. He left them warm for several weeks and came back to me and told me every one was a gusher. A few others complained of same issue. My personal stash was always kept cold and never had a problem.

This is something like 3 out of 7 batches of IPA with the same issue and the only thing I can see they share is switching over to dry yeast. All reached terminal gravity. I did not do a forced fermentation test, but as far as my experience tells me they were good to go.

Anyway, my advice to OP is to ALWAYS keep your packaged beer under 50 degrees or colder. I have never had problems with bottle gushers on any beer that was stored this way and I have had some stored for years. That said, I have also had undercarbonated barley wines that were stored for years at room temp and they remained undercarbed for years.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline drjones

• Cellarman
  • So much to beer, so little time to brew it all...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
This is something like 3 out of 7 batches of IPA with the same issue and the only thing I can see they share is switching over to dry yeast.
Keith,
If it's an IPA thing, is there a chance it has to do with the dry-hopping?  Consider this a noob question, but it does seem the chance of contamination is increased with the introduction of hops - especially whole leaf.  I understand the alcohol should take care of most contaminants, but it seems there's always a chance.  Just a thought - waiting for the barrage...
- Brian
------------------------------------------
Fermenting: west-coast IPA
Bottled:60 schilling, 70 schilling, maple porter, wheat porter

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
This is something like 3 out of 7 batches of IPA with the same issue and the only thing I can see they share is switching over to dry yeast.
Keith,
If it's an IPA thing, is there a chance it has to do with the dry-hopping?  Consider this a noob question, but it does seem the chance of contamination is increased with the introduction of hops - especially whole leaf.  I understand the alcohol should take care of most contaminants, but it seems there's always a chance.  Just a thought - waiting for the barrage...

there is a chance, but between the alcohol and the hops themselves which have pretty potent preservative effects it's unlikely.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Keith,
I would doubt it is from contaminants in the dry hopping.  Between the pH, ABV, and hops themselves it is not likely, and if it happens in multiple batches then it is even less likely I think.

<edit> Or in other words, what mort said. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:21 AM »
I have thought about dry hopping being an issue but I'm still sticking with my story that it's the yeast. ;)

The weird thing is it doesn't taste "off" once the foaming settles, so I don't feel like it is an infection. But it does taste drier. No, I didn't take a hydro reading though I know I should have. Hope it's not ever going to be an issue again to check in future. It's pretty embarrassing.  :-[
Keith Y.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 06:53:37 AM »
Are these beers filtered? I find certain dry hopped beers of mine are more sensitive to high carbonation levels. My working theory is that the residual hop material in the bottle is creating nucleation points leading to gushers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 07:00:40 AM »
I'd suppose the high levels of hop oils could provide a challenging environment for the yeast, and they aren't quite finishing completely and its taking a long time to eat that last couple of points?  It'd be worse with a low floc yeast like US05 since it hangs around trying to finish.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
No, I own a plate filter but almost never use it. I actually don't even fine my IPA.

Tom might be on to something.
Keith Y.