Author Topic: Brand Loyalty  (Read 1288 times)

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Brand Loyalty
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
I was driving by one of the better beer spots in Yakima today and saw their banner advertising that Stone was their 'Brewery of the Month.'  It got me to thinking about one of the differences between Craft Beer drinkers and Macro Brew drinkers - brand loyalty.

Every Macro Brew drinker I know is very loyal to their go-to beer.  They will drink another if theirs is not available, otherwise they stick with theirs.  Even though there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between them IMO, but they probably have a more sensitive palate than mine - cigars will do that I've heard.

Not so for the Craft Brew drinker though.  We pride themselves in being wide-sweeping in our beer consumption, both in terms of brewery and in terms of style.  Clearly we have favorites in both, but not nearly the brand/style loyalty that one finds with Macro brew drinkers.

It's just a curiosity that has me wondering about the implications.  Seems one reason it is so easy for a start-up brewery to break into the craft beer market.
Steve

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Brand Loyalty
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
I think that craft beer drinkers as a whole definitely seek out new beers (and breweries) to sample today, because we expect and enjoy quality in our beers.  But it's a double-edged sword  -  while a start up brewery will definitely find plenty of beer geeks walking in the doors pretty quickly, they will leave and never come back if the brewery doesn't deliver with good, if not great, beers. There are just too many good choices to waste $$ on a mediocre or sub par one. Darwin at his finest.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
I don't drink craft beer. I only drink nano beers. Really really super hoppy nano beers. Craft beer sucks. Nano beers that are so rare that you really have to know the brewer, they are the best.

See beer geek meets girl on YouTube to get my joke...

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
I don't drink craft beer. I only drink nano beers. Really really super hoppy nano beers. Craft beer sucks. Nano beers that are so rare that you really have to know the brewer, they are the best.

See beer geek meets girl on YouTube to get my joke...

Very funny!  Humor always has a kernel of truth to it.  Craft beer is for pussies.  Now I know.  But I don't know if I'm Beer Geek enough to drink  Butt-plug Belgian from San Francisco.
Steve

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
To a degree we are that guy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:33:58 PM »
Damn that is hilarious !   Steve is right - there is a grain of truth buried in there.    ;D
Jon H.

Offline phunhog

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
I have no/very little brand loyalty to craft beers.  As others have said there are so many interesting choices that I find myself rarely buying the same beer twice.  Like all of us I have some favorite breweries but even then I don't buy much of their beer......

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »
We all have loyalty... it's just based on different things.   Macro drinkers are loyal and mostly focused on advertisement, but there are plenty of craft beer drinkers who are loyal to brands that I think are utter s***e  ;).  I hate to perpetuate the "n00b" craft beer drinker stereotype, but we all go through phases on the path to enlightenment, and when you look back at the person who is obsessed with hops, high alcohol beers, Arrogant Bastard, or that local brewery that isn't that good, you feel the same sense of superiority.  But for all I know my current zen "all beer styles are equally worthy" mindset is as shallow as anything else.  I can at least tell you more about those styles than most craft beer fans.

It's no coincidence that Stone advertises, and does so often in craft beer avenues.  How do you think you get that big?
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
Speaking of Stone...  I just had their 2013 Classic Release Imperial Russian Stout tonight.  Oh my.  I've got to brew a clone.

The only trouble is that my wine closet is already full of 4 cases of beer I'm aging.  If I stack any more cases in there I'll have no access to the wine behind it.

First-world problems...
Steve

cornershot

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »
Speaking of Stone...  I just had their 2013 Classic Release Imperial Russian Stout tonight.  Oh my.  I've got to brew a clone.

The only trouble is that my wine closet is already full of 4 cases of beer I'm aging.  If I stack any more cases in there I'll have no access to the wine behind it.

First-world problems...
That is a sexy beer. If you manage to clone it or even come close, please post the recipe!

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
It's easy. Just do exactly what they do.

No bad hurters intended, but let's get away from cloning and start being inspired by

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:46:49 AM »

No bad hurters intended, but let's get away from cloning and start being inspired by

I like that idea Jim!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:57:09 AM »
let's get away from cloning and start being inspired by

Are we a herd?   :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 06:01:29 AM »

I've never been a "clone" guy. Always have wanted to fashion my own recipe, though I do wholly admit to being intrigued and inspired by other beers, breweries or brewers.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline singletrack brewer

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 06:08:52 AM »
Oh that beer geek meets girl video is absolutely hilarious. Thanks for suggesting that klickitat jim!  There is some truth buried in there for sure.  I agree on being inspired by versus cloning, just as long as it's not the Belgian sour with splash of lime that was mentioned in the video.

Chris
Brewer, Push Brewing Co