Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Munich Dunkel Recipe?  (Read 25085 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Munich Dunkel Recipe?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 01:04:11 pm »
Done with 6.5 hours on the clock today. Set up last night, milled the grain, did the water additions, set the timer on the bucket heater so we could dough in first thing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 01:33:59 pm »
Jumping in late here, but really interesting thread...

I've had a good luck with Kai's recipe from here http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dunkel

Martin, what do you think of the water specs he gives there?

-red

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 02:18:42 pm »

Martin - what is your suggestion for the ppm levels of calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride, etc...?

The one thing that is also apparent from the boiled Munich profile is that it still has a lot of bicarbonate and the brewers would have to dose with acid malt to neutralize that component. For some beer styles, it will be a significant dose.  But I don't expect that most people would taste it. But there might be nuances from the lactic acid that do color the beer flavor.  That is why it's imperative that brewers use lactic acid or acid malt when brewing German style beers.

Martin can you expand on your last sentence a little? A few years ago you mentioned in a similar thread http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6500.msg78227#msg78227 that when building water from distilled or RO (which I do for amber and lighter beers, as my tap water is moderately hard) an acidulated malt is not needed...

-red

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 03:47:59 pm »
Red, I'm speaking about the actual boiled Munich profile which still has significant alkalinity left in it. For that water, those Munich brewers would have to include that acid source. For someone starting with a low alkalinity water, you may not want to go to the trouble of creating the boiled Munich profile with all its alkalinity and then reverse course and add acid. In this latter case, you probably wouldn't add any more alkalinity than necessary for the mash condition. 

But to be as authentic as possible, boosting the alkalinity to the boiled Munich level and then adding the lactic source may be the way to go. Those of you with fairly alkaline water may consider this an opportunity! I remember my Tallahassee water was well suited to making Hefe's and Dunkel's since I used Lactic acid exclusively. 

Unfortunately, the recommendations that Kai makes regarding the water for the Dunkel are dated. He may want to revise that water recipe.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 05:53:11 am »
So what do you suggest for simply brewing a Dunkel based on distilled water... your Amber Balanced or Amber Malty profile?

And while we're at it, what about Helles: Yellow Malty? 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2013, 07:15:54 am »
Started drinking mine last weekend.  This style of beer really shows the difference between malty and sweet.  The malt is very up front, but the sweetness is moderate and the finish is somewhat dry.  The malt flavor continues through the finish.  I like this style!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 10:31:20 am »
Started drinking mine last weekend.  This style of beer really shows the difference between malty and sweet.  The malt is very up front, but the sweetness is moderate and the finish is somewhat dry.  The malt flavor continues through the finish.  I like this style!

Jim...we'll have to compare notes during a tasting when mine is finished lagering and kegged. Try to save a couple of bottles for this occasion.
Ron Price

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »
Great thread! I'm going to make a Munich dunkel this weekend with the wy2206. Lots of great info here. I was thinking of adding some vienna to the base, is that inappropriate?
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 04:00:13 pm »
How much?  Add enough and you'll pretty much have a marzen
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:11 pm »
Yeah, you're right. I guess I was going to supplement some of the munich base for vienna because I don't think I have enough munich to cover 90% of the grain bill. Might just brew a vienna lager.
Jesse

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 06:32:18 am »
I love Kai's recipe which is 99% Dark Munich (I like Best Malz) and 1% Carafa II.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:00 am »
Dunkel is on my to do list. Was going to use that one to try the toast your own Munich technique

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 07:07:30 am »
I love Kai's recipe which is 99% Dark Munich (I like Best Malz) and 1% Carafa II.

That's a lot like mine except I put in some pils malt to help facilitate conversion.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 10:29:13 am »
Yeah, you're right. I guess I was going to supplement some of the munich base for vienna because I don't think I have enough munich to cover 90% of the grain bill. Might just brew a vienna lager.

I try to remember to post my most recent attempt which turned out fantastic. I'm very pleased with it, and so is everyone else that has tasted it.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 10:53:08 am »
Ron isn't it on page 3 of this thread?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281