Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Hops?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Experimental Hops?
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:21:02 pm »
I was given some whole leaf fresh hops from the "big boys" in saint Louis :) I was not given any info on these hops except for they are being looked at closely. So ? Is any suggestions on how to go about what the bitterns/ alpha may be? Considered doing a classic American pilsner for obvious reasons but am up for suggestions

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Experimental Hops?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:15:52 am »
If you don't know the alpha on them, just use them for aroma/flavor so the IBU contribution is minimal. Then use a clean bittering hop of known alpha at 60 to get your IBUs in the ballpark.
Mark Gres

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:31:13 am »
If you don't know the alpha on them, just use them for aroma/flavor so the IBU contribution is minimal. Then use a clean bittering hop of known alpha at 60 to get your IBUs in the ballpark.

+1
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »

Or you can go the other route. If we assume that around 100 IBU's is the maximum you can get in a beer, then you can just brew an IPA and use enough hops where no matter how low the AA% is you should get in the 100 IBU range. Or just throw a pound or two in at flameout and hop stand for an hour.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer