Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wee Heavy Recipe Check  (Read 6769 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Wee Heavy Recipe Check
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 06:13:11 am »
That's around 11.7% abv . . NICE!  :)
Just brew it...

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 07:40:40 am »
That's around 11.7% abv . . NICE!  :)

Yep  :)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 03:36:20 pm »
Bottled this one today.  The sample tasted very good and the alcohol presence definitely moderated quite a bit since I racked it.  Assuming my self control is up to the task I'm planning on letting it age another month in the bottles before i crack it open.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »
Pretty sure you need another set o' taste buds on it just to verify your findings . . 

:D

Just brew it...

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:50 pm »
Bottled this one today.  The sample tasted very good and the alcohol presence definitely moderated quite a bit since I racked it.  Assuming my self control is up to the task I'm planning on letting it age another month in the bottles before i crack it open.

Be sure to put at least a couple of bottles  aside (if you can) to taste 6 or more months down the line.  Based on my experience with Wee Heavy (a favorite 'style' of mine) If it's good now, and you bottled with proper sanitation and attention to keeping the oxygen out of the process,  it'll probably be amazing with more age on it.

Big beers definitely  don't have to be aged...but most such brews will usually benefit greatly from it.
Just my opinion of course (an opinion shared by many)... but your own palate is the deciding factor in the end.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 07:04:56 pm »
Pretty sure you need another set o' taste buds on it just to verify your findings . . 

:D

I'm sure I'm going to have no shortage of helpers on that front  ;)

Be sure to put at least a couple of bottles  aside (if you can) to taste 6 or more months down the line. 

I am going to make a valiant effort to do this.  But the batch only ended up yielding 38 bottles so it's going to be a challenge.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 08:52:13 pm »
Big beers definitely  don't have to be aged...but most such brews will usually benefit greatly from it.
Just my opinion of course (an opinion shared by many)...

FWIW, I wholeheartedly agree.
Just brew it...

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »
So this one has been in the bottle now for going on two months.  It's been a very slow maturer which is to be expected I guess.  I've sampled three or so bottles starting at 3 weeks in the bottle and I've definitely seen progress in the carbonation but it's taking longer than I initially expected.

The one I sampled tonight had a thin head which dissipated quickly and there's low but noticeable carbonation.  The carbonation on this one should be fairly low but I'm hoping it increases a bit as it ages. 

It tastes a bit sweet which is somewhat moderated by the alcohol presence.  My initial read on this one is that it'll be a one at a time sipping beer which I'll take for the first attempt.

When I brew this one again I'll follow Fred's advice and mash a bit lower.  I'll also carb the next one up a wee bit more. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 06:01:01 am »
Everyone needs to have a beer to enjoy over the long haul!

I've not done it, but I know brewers who have added a few grains of dry yeast to the bottles for carbing on really big beers . . like Nott for example. The initial yeast have worked pretty hard on a 1.100 + brew and might need a little hospice!
Just brew it...

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 07:54:52 am »
I added a half pack of US05 at bottling so there should be enough yeast in there.  And like I said it has improved over the last month.  We'll see what it's like in another six months or so.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:46 am »
. . . We'll see what it's like in another six months or so.

The wait . . . the hardest part of brewing!   :)
Just brew it...