Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A great beer story  (Read 4154 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: A great beer story
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »
Very cool WW2 beer story

http://www.sj-r.com/bakke/x1599386169/Dave-Bakke-Auburn-soldiers-WWII-experience-became-Bastogne-legend?photo=0

Well, that gives new meaning to the reason why they call the 101st guys "The Belching Buzzards."

With all due respect to the Screaming Eagles.  ;)

Interesting that he's wearing 101st on his hat and 82nd on his shoulder. 
True American heroes - everyone who fought the Nazis in the Ardennes Forest at Christmas 1944.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:34:46 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »
Very cool story, thanks.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
Awesome story.  Thanks !
Jon H.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
Thanks for posting this thirsty!  A great tale!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »

Well, that gives new meaning to the reason why they call the 101st guys "The Belching Buzzards."

Better than the Choking Chickens...

Offline punatic

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »
For those who would like to know more about this, watch the HBO miniseries Band of Brothers

It follows the men of Company E, in the 101st Airborne Division, 506th PIR, from their training for D-Day in England to their capture of Hitler's Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden at the end of the war.  An amazing story!  Those guys had some big ones, to do what they did.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:05 pm »
Very good story. I have been to Bastogne, and did not know about the beer in the helmet story. I do know that veterans can find their foxholes or mortar pits out in the surrounding country side. Talked to a mortarman a few years back at a reunion that had found a few that he had dug, 40+ years later, with the use of some topo maps.

My FiL was in the 17th airborne, which helped relieve Bastogne, and afterwards were sent up to the North by Patton to secure that flank. It was cold, snowed heavily, roads were covered with ice. Lightly armed paratroopers, M1 Carbines and Bazookas, found themselves looking at 2 units of Tiger tanks that Hitler had sent in to regain ground and take Basogne. You don't hear much of that fighting, which some say was the fiercest of the Bulge, as the 17th was disbanded after WWII, and the 101 and the 82 have the division historians to tell their stories.

The 17th was in reserves in England, was brought over quickly for the Bulge, had no winter boots or coats. Bradley had a need for bodies to plug the Bulge. Those guys had it rough, most got frostbite on their feet.

The 17th went on to fight many battles, the biggest was operation Varsity, which was the largest airborne assault of the war. Paratroopers and CG-4A gliders were used for that. There is a Waco CG-4A in a Museum in Iron Mountain MI, if anyone heads through the UP next year for the NHC. Half of those were built at the old Ford Woody factory during the war, which was in Kingford MI.

Edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:13:03 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »
I wrote about this a little bit earlier today.

Hell of a story.

One of my grandfathers was in Patton's Third in relief of the troopers.

Something that amazed me when I went to Belgium for the first time was how much respect there was still being paid to the soldiers who held Bastogne.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:04:45 am »
My father was captured in the Battle of the Ardennes Forrest.  Spent 5 months as a POW.  He never spoke much about the battle, except for when he was captured.  He said "I felt a gun barrel poked in my back while someone said ,Actung!, Rouse.  I put my gun down, raised my hands and became a guest to Germany for 5 months.  Lived on a diet of turnips and parsnips.  We were not allowed them in the house while growing up.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline punatic

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 11:06:51 am »
My family served in the Pacific.  My Uncle Larry was killed in action when the USS Juneau CL52 was sunk at the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.  My dad was a plank owner and served aboard USS Douglas A. Munro DE422.  Dad passed away last March.  My mom passed away two months later.  They were together 62 years; apart for 52 days.  We will be laying them to rest, together, in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (The Punchbowl) on December 5th.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:45:20 am »
My dad, who served for 11 years until my mom got sick, was a radioman (Chief) on the Indianapolis. He had many stories he could never talk about without breaking down and having to leave the room. One was of being ordered to close a water tight hatch while there were still men trying to get up from below. He saw the men's faces nearly every night in his sleep.

A couple weeks before that fateful day the "Indy" went down, he told his CO that if he didn't get off that "can" for a few days he was going AWOL. He was given leave and shortly thereafter she was sunk. He never did reconcile why he was still alive and nearly 900 others were not. It haunted his nights, and as a child, his screams haunted mine.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:59:24 am »
My family served in the Pacific.  My Uncle Larry was killed in action when the USS Juneau CL52 was sunk at the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.  My dad was a plank owner and served aboard USS Douglas A. Munro DE422.  Dad passed away last March.  My mom passed away two months later.  They were together 62 years; apart for 52 days.  We will be laying them to rest, together, in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (The Punchbowl) on December 5th.

My condolences

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 12:28:51 pm »
Awesome story.

My grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He survived the war physically, but endured significant mental stress (PTS) after witnessing his partner's gruesome death while driving a military vehicle. I haven't had the opportunity to talk much about his service, as he passed many years ago, and from what I can remember it wasn't something he liked to discuss.

Thanks for posting!
Ron Price