Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brand Loyalty  (Read 4253 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brand Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 07:18:16 am »
I would say that I do have some brand loyalty in Craft as there are certain breweries I will consistently buy because their beers are just so damn good but I am always searching out new things to try as well since there are so many new beers hitting the markets. My big thing is using commercial brands representative of a style I am looking to brew as research. I always consider my trips to Binny's as R&D ;D
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 07:59:19 am »
I don't have brand loyalty, but I do have defaults.

As for brewing, I've never brewed a clone. I like to say my beers are "inspired by" something; either a particular beer or a style. I suppose one could say that's being lazy and maybe I'm just not good enough to duplicate another's beer. Perhaps, but I've truly never been interested in duplicating another's beer, since I can just buy that beer.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:56 am »
I have started out with a clone recipe created by someone else but have never actually brewed a clone of a beer.  the recipe is a guide to start the process.  Ingredient selection and brewing process are all mine.  The beers I make are good beer but not like anyone else makes.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:30:41 am »
If loyalty means lockstep support for every beer a brewery produces then no, I don't have any brand loyalty. (Maybe one.) However, I do have many breweries that I drink on a regular basis, when I buy beer, and trust that their beers will be good every time. Sometimes the beers aren't my preference but the brewery has proven itself enough that I'm not sworn off their new beers.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:24 am »
It's easy. Just do exactly what they do.

No bad hurters intended, but let's get away from cloning and start being inspired by

I was debating in my head about a response, now I find myself wondering if your admonition here was ironic in light of the Beer Geek video...  If so, it is very droll.  Hat tip to you Jim, you do have an excellent sense of humor.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 09:37:32 am »
let's get away from cloning and start being inspired by

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline clef051

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:21:26 am »

No bad hurters intended, but let's get away from cloning and start being inspired by

You know I start out to clone something every once in awhile, but it always ends up changing.  So I'm inspired by great beers. ;D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 08:33:58 pm »
I wouldn't say I have brand loyalty the same way that Macro drinkers seem to, but I definitely have some brands that I am quite fond of and do feel some loyalty to. They are mostly the local New England breweries I grew up on (Otter Creek, Smuttynose and Ipswich in particular). I'm not guaranteed to like every beer they brew, but they are definitely how I developed my taste for beer. If given a choice I will typically reach for one of their beers first.

For example, I judge every Oatmeal Stout against Ipswich's by default because that's what introduced me to the style and it's still my old standby to this day. Another example, Otter Creek's beers have this minerally/steely character that a lot of people don't enjoy. I'm the exact opposite - this is one of my white whales in homebrewing. I love this flavor in a lot of styles, but I just haven't been able to nail it down yet.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »

You know I start out to clone something every once in awhile, but it always ends up changing.  So I'm inspired by great beers. ;D

Hells yeah!  Look what happened in Jurassic Park.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:43 pm »

I was debating in my head about a response, now I find myself wondering if your admonition here was ironic in light of the Beer Geek video...  If so, it is very droll.  Hat tip to you Jim, you do have an excellent sense of humor.

;-)

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »
I only drink beer that is brewed 1 pint at a time.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »
Coincidence, I only brew beer that is drank one pint at a time.