Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A great beer story  (Read 4157 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: A great beer story
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 02:53:30 pm »
My Dad graduated high school early to join the army, but first marrying my Mom, and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  He said he never fired a shot, mostly walked across Europe carrying his weapon.  He was impressed that Zurich was very clean.  I have a cool mother-of-pearl cigarette lighter that he traded something with an Austrian to get.  That's about all he ever said about it.  The GI bill put him through engineering school when he got back.
My Mom bought him that same rifle (M-1 or something?) for his birthday 30 years later.
Before she passed away, she gave me the cigarette case with her 1945 (?) photo and her letter in it that Dad carried with him during the war.

What this has to do with a great beer story I don't know, but I thought I'd add to the nostalgia.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »
Awesome story, jeffy. I am so sorry that he passed away. He sounds like a great man. My father was 19 on D-day. But, he remained state side because his only brother, my uncle, was a POW in Europe. The greatest generation has some great believing! Thanks for sharing.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 04:17:28 pm »
Wow, some great stories.  Thanks for the original posts Thirsty. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »
Glad so many people liked the post. I thought it was a really unique beer story.

My Grandfather fought in WW2 also, but he was on the other side. He was in a Hungarian section of the German army on the Russian front. He told us some amazing stories.

My other Grandfather was in WW1! On the Allied side. 

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 06:31:51 am »
My dad's dad came over from Germany after WWI and built PT boats on Long Island during
WWII.  His brothers fought for the Germans during WWII.  My mom's dad was Swiss and already too old to fight.  He owned a cheese business in Wisconsin. 
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2013, 09:12:31 am »
Dad and four of his brother's joined the navy a few days after Pearl. He was 18. After the Sullivans were killed they split them up. After touring the med, he woke up one morning on the channel side of England. He says that within a day there were so many ships you couldn't count them. He drove a Hoggins boat to Omaha beach. 18 of them in his group, of those he and one other guy made it out. He told us the story one time on the day my brother came back from Vietnam.
Saturday is his 90th. Looking forward to seeing him again.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:15:14 am by klickitat jim »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 09:20:05 am »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 09:23:31 am »
Dad and four of his brother's joined the navy a few days after Pearl. He was 18. After the Sullivans were killed they split them up. After touring the med, he woke up one morning on the channel side of England. He says that within a day there were so many ships you couldn't count them. He drove a Hoggins boat to Omaha beach. 18 of them in his group, of those he and one other guy made it out. He told us the story one time on the day my brother came back from Vietnam.
Saturday is his 90th. Looking forward to seeing him again.

That's an amazing story.  Those old guys were a whole different breed. My grandpa fought in Germany in WWII and got back in one piece. He told some great stories.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 09:35:32 am »
He told a few that day. I remember it all. He said that somehow just prior to the invasion my uncle George ended up on dad's ship. After his launch he was on the deck of his ship with George when the Germans started attacking from the air. To avoid getting shot they were flying low between the ships. Dad and George were fighting them with a fire hose.

He told us about going on shore leave in England after. He got a four day pass. When it was time to go back the coxswain for his skippers yacht was late. The captain saw dad's rating patch and had him drive it. He drove the skippers yacht for the rest of his time. Right place right time.