Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mashing High, possible issues?  (Read 10598 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Mashing High, possible issues?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »
In that case, 10 lbs, 4.25 gallons, 72° grain, = 168° strike for 158° mash.

bump that a couple of degrees to pre-heat the mash tun and your at 170ish.
Pretty much my differential too.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 06:55:58 pm »
Preheat the mash tun and bring the grain inside your house the night before and it will work fine.  I followed Mort's suggestion on my last a Scottish 80/- mashing at 158F and the hydro sample at racking to keg was delicious!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »
If you have beer smith then you can enter your grain and mash tun temps and it will tell you what temp water to add.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 07:43:09 pm »
I'm not a fan of mashing at high temperature to enhance sweetness. After almost 15 years of beer judging, I have found that one of the cardinal sins of many homebrewers is creating beers that fail to finish dry enough.

If sweetness is desired, reduce the bittering and allow the sweetness to exhibit that way. In my opinion, raising the mashing temperature is best reserved for those cases where the gravity of the wort is low and the brewer is trying to improve the body via reduced fermentability.  In a beer that has adequate gravity in the first place, reduced fermentability is not the way to achieve a sweeter or maltier perception in the beer...reduced bittering is.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 10:50:55 pm »
I'm not a fan of mashing at high temperature to enhance sweetness. After almost 15 years of beer judging, I have found that one of the cardinal sins of many homebrewers is creating beers that fail to finish dry enough.

If sweetness is desired, reduce the bittering and allow the sweetness to exhibit that way. In my opinion, raising the mashing temperature is best reserved for those cases where the gravity of the wort is low and the brewer is trying to improve the body via reduced fermentability.  In a beer that has adequate gravity in the first place, reduced fermentability is not the way to achieve a sweeter or maltier perception in the beer...reduced bittering is.

I agree, I reserve high mash temps for session beers. I rarely go above 155 for anything above 1.050
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dolecek21

• Cellarman
  • Denver, Co
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 08:49:14 pm »
More body in a lighter/session beer was my reason for the high mash temp here. Originally my OG was more along the lines of 1.045, but I decided to tweak it and go a little higher to 1.050. Maybe the shift in weather had something to do with it.  :)

Brewed it today. Hit mash temp right on, and grav was slightly low, but reasonably close (target = 1.050, measured = 1.048).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 09:03:37 pm »

I agree, I reserve high mash temps for session beers. I rarely go above 155 for anything above 1.050

+1
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:35 pm »
Agreed, my 80/- was 1.053, which was pushing it, but it turned out fine with a 158F mash starting temperature.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"