Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy Pilsner..... Maybe?  (Read 7358 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hoppy Pilsner..... Maybe?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »
I like the idea and think it will be really good. I just did a pretty standard Kolsch recipe with Amarillo for flavor and aroma while keeping the IBUs within guidelines. I should probably do a traditional Kolsch but unfortunately I have the habit of changing the tried and true...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »
Let you know in a couple months lol
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 06:42:42 pm »
I got this brewed today. All and all it was a good brew day. The wort smelled delicious in the carboy. I had a little longer hopstand than I wanted by about 25 minutes... Forgot to turn on the water lol. I also overshot the gravity and it 1.053 instead of 1.047... I'm not too concerned with either error though. Will have results in about 7 weeks.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:53 pm »
That looks pretty similar in hop schedule to my last IPL.  1.053 sounds like a better foundation for those hops, so I wouldn't worry. Can't wait to hear how it turns out !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 01:41:11 pm »
We tapped this yesterday afternoon. This beer turned out very well. It has a nice hop presence, but it doesn't impede it from also tasting like a pilsner. You first taste the fruitiness of the Nelson and meridian hops, but the Columbus finishes it off to keep the fruit in check. I'm very pleased with this beer.

Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »
Looks great! How many IBUs did that calculate at?

I tried to do a 'hoppy wheat' last summer and ended up making one of my worst beers. Too much columbus hops made it taste like drinking perfume. That was quite a learning experience...

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »
Looks great! How many IBUs did that calculate at?

I tried to do a 'hoppy wheat' last summer and ended up making one of my worst beers. Too much columbus hops made it taste like drinking perfume. That was quite a learning experience...

I'm not positive. I think I figured a rough estimate based on a half oz of Columbus at 60, but the rest was just by feel. I'm never happy with with setting an IBU target and calculating for it and never reach the desired bitterness. For instance, the zymurgy Pliny recipe has a measured IBU that is considerably lower than it would be if calculated. After that experience, I just sorta go by feel or instinct with hops. In saying that, this beer a very pleasant hop flavor. It's not overkill, but rather what I was kinda looking for. I suppose it's 40-50 IBUs?
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:11 pm »
Got ya. I am not very good at doing things by feel or calculations at this point really...haha. Maybe eventually...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 04:28:51 pm »
Got ya. I am not very good at doing things by feel or calculations at this point really...haha. Maybe eventually...

Not a thing wrong with that. It's a good idea to work out your IBUs with software at least until you've brewed a style a time or two. Then you can fine tune your hops by feel afterward for the next rebrew if you like. It's what I do. That's where taking really good notes comes in - I write down recommendations after tasting each beer I brew on how to improve it the next time I brew it. Beats trying to remember if you brew a lot of styles !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 04:42:04 pm »

Not a thing wrong with that. It's a good idea to work out your IBUs with software at least until you've brewed a style a time or two. Then you can fine tune your hops by feel afterward for the next rebrew if you like. It's what I do. That's where taking really good notes comes in - I write down recommendations after tasting each beer I brew on how to improve it the next time I brew it. Beats trying to remember if you brew a lot of styles !

+1
Yeah, what I do is not best practice by any means. If I came off towards you in a negative manner, I apologize, because that wasn't my intentions. I was more or less covering up my tracks to why I didn't have an exact number on IBUs  :P
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »
No, no, no !  Wasn't even thinking that way. All good. ;D
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »
No I wasn't offended whatsoever either. I was jealous because I have issues getting the intended outcome in a lot of my beers in regards to hop balance. Somehow I overcomplicate matters and seem to miss more than hit...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 05:12:51 pm »
Just made me think of when I was getting a handle on hops - I always overshot or undershot my hop levels. Wish the good software had been around then ! For a while having really good notes on past beers was my best friend to duplicate something !
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 05:22:22 pm »
Actually makes me look forward to getting a lager fridge soon, to replace the one that burned out over a year ago. I haven't brewed a lager since. I could've but didn't want to tie up the fermentation fridge with lagering time. It's fun to brew lagers with a hop schedule like that -IPL style. Gonna make the first one in the new fridge a BoPils though !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:29:59 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:41 pm »
Actually makes me look forward to getting a lager fridge soon, to replace the one that burned out over a year ago. I haven't brewed a lager since. I could've but didn't want to tie up the fermentation fridge with lagering time. It's fun to brew lagers with a hop schedule like that -IPL style. Gonna make the first one in the new fridge a BoPils though !

Haha this has only been my third or fourth lager and I think the one that was truly done correctly. The other ones were grain kits too. I actually fermented this one with a heat blanket on it. I took advantage of the relentless polar vortex and fermented this in the garage. I lagered it a little higher than I should have. My keezer is set at 38, so that's where it was lagered at.
Frank