Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: India Pale Lagers  (Read 3637 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
India Pale Lagers
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:34 am »
I don't know if this is a national trend or just something that is popping up here in Southern California, but I've seen a lot of "India Pale Lagers" appearing on menus recently.

Anyone else notice this?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: India Pale Lagers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:50:05 am »
Yes. 
And there's one in my fermenter as well.  I've had some good one's so I thought what the heck and pitched some 34-70 to half of the last IPA wort i made.  Might be ready to keg this weekend.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:55:33 am »
I've had Sam Adams double agent IPL and didn't care for it. It just seemed wrong.  But that's just me.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:12 pm »
More of a fan of Imperial lagers. The couple IPL that I had were meh! Imperial Bo-pils that is good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »
The IPLs I've had were so close to well made IPAs that I have wo wonder what the point if an IPL is.  Because you can?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:57 pm »
The IPLs I've had were so close to well made IPAs that I have wo wonder what the point if an IPL is.  Because you can?

Maybe, or perhaps because some folks brew in conditions more favorable for lager brewing.  Just seems like something worth trying for sure.  It's not like trying to make beer that tastes like a PB&J sandwich or something as rediculous as that. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
I've made a few IPLs in the past, for something fun and different.  But spending twice the amount of time to brew something that, in the end, tastes like an IPA seemed like a waste. As said, I do love a good imperial pils though.
Jon H.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 03:14:13 pm »
I'm with Denny on this one.  I not sure I see the point of an IPL when a well-made IPA will do.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:12 pm »
I'm with Denny on this one.  I not sure I see the point of an IPL when a well-made IPA will do.

Because we're homebrewers guys. We like variety and being creative, remember?
What's the point of homebrewing if well-made commercial beer will do?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 03:36:33 pm »

Because we're homebrewers guys. We like variety and being creative, remember?
What's the point of homebrewing if well-made commercial beer will do?

who said commercial? I'm just playing devils advocate here though. I think Denny hit it right on the head. Because You Can.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:25 pm »
Chime...

I say go for it. If Pelican can make Cream Ale, that is actually a blonde, but tastes and looks identical to Full Sail Session premium lager... why not?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:43:58 pm »
Wolverine State brewing makes an IPL called Gulo Gulo. It is hopped like an IPA, but is very clean tasting, and is dangerously drinkable. They mainly brew lagers, so something like an IPL is in their mission, and appeals to the must have hops crowd.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:06 pm »
I've liked the Sam Adams IPL, one I tried locally at a pub, and the ones I made. I like the idea, I just don't want to use equipment and space at home to make something I could turn out quicker as an IPA.  So kinda like lambics, I love them but would rather somebody else spend the time to make them. But I would love to try some of the IPLs from Jack's Abby in Massachusetts.  I have beer geek friends that live out that way, and they rave about them.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 05:48:33 pm »

Pretty much. I've wasted my last two lager brewing seasons chasing the elusive "hoppy lager". In the end I've come to the conclusion that it's simply an IPA or APA brewed with a different yeast strain. Don't get me wrong, the beers were great and I'd probably do it more often if I had the capability to lager year-round, but it's no different than using something like WLP007 or WY1968 instead of Chico. It's simply a different yeast choice and will give a different fermentation character; a very clean one in this case.

FWIW, WY2007 (Budweiser) is a very good choice for this. It is the cleanest yeast I've ever used, but there is still a hint of that apple ester note that plays very well with American hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:04 pm »

Pretty much. I've wasted my last two lager brewing seasons chasing the elusive "hoppy lager". In the end I've come to the conclusion that it's simply an IPA or APA brewed with a different yeast strain. Don't get me wrong, the beers were great and I'd probably do it more often if I had the capability to lager year-round, but it's no different than using something like WLP007 or WY1968 instead of Chico. It's simply a different yeast choice and will give a different fermentation character; a very clean one in this case.

FWIW, WY2007 (Budweiser) is a very good choice for this. It is the cleanest yeast I've ever used, but there is still a hint of that apple ester note that plays very well with American hops.
The WLP Mexican lager yeast is the cleanest yeast I have ever used, and it is almost too clean. Guess what strain Wolverine uses?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!