Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling question  (Read 4181 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Bottling question
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:13:06 am »
I always use o2 scavenging caps. I spray a handful of caps at a time with vodka from a squirt bottle. (A trick I learned while working at a winery). The o2 absorbing agent is moisture activated so you only want to sanitize the ones you will use.

Vodka as a sanitizer won't work as well for beer as it does for wine.  Wine has more alcohol and a lower pH which makes it more resistant to infection than beer is.
Fixed that ;)
And it's more expensive too.  I can see using it in a pinch, but given the price and effectiveness I use starsan.
Tom Schmidlin

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:56:12 am »
I always use o2 scavenging caps. I spray a handful of caps at a time with vodka from a squirt bottle. (A trick I learned while working at a winery). The o2 absorbing agent is moisture activated so you only want to sanitize the ones you will use.

Vodka as a sanitizer won't work as well for beer as it does for wine.  Wine has more alcohol and a lower pH which makes it more resistant to infection than beer is.
Fixed that ;)
And it's more expensive too.  I can see using it in a pinch, but given the price and effectiveness I use starsan.

Thanks for the professional fix!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 12:25:22 pm »

Fixed that ;)

Thanks for the professional fix!

I've always wondered why I would waste vodka.  Of course I don't buy Hawkeye (still the best selling brand in Iowa) but starsan seems cheaper and way more effective for sanitation.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 01:45:07 pm »
I use the vodka for this purpose primarily because it doesn't lose potency sitting in a squirt bottle.

I use Starsan most of the time though.
- Charles

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13:28 pm »
I use the vodka for this purpose primarily because it doesn't lose potency sitting in a squirt bottle.

I use Starsan most of the time though.
Starsan doesn't lose potency sitting in a squirt bottle.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 03:01:36 pm »
Yep. I put starsan in a bowl and put caps in it while bottling.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

+1
Me too!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010