Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Palate Fatigue  (Read 6705 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Palate Fatigue
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 01:21:16 pm »

On my last IPA I poured one a couple times and felt like the aroma was great but not strong enough, like it had faded prematurely.  Now this was a beer I dryhopped with 6 oz !  Each time a day or two later, I poured one and the aroma was big, where it had been all along. Mood, fatigue, sinus/allergy issues all definitely play into it for me.

How true.  About half an hour into my IPA I'll be doubting its intensity of aroma hoppiness and wondering if it's really this restrained.  A little time away from it and it's back baby.

I am oh so thankful this also happens when I drink really intense commercial IPA's.
This happens to me with commercial beers as well. I plan to take a couple days off from drinking my IPA.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »
I attach picnic taps to those kegs on deck and presample from them before going to the kegerator with the batch.  That way I have easily 6 or 7 beers to compare.  Yes, I have experienced the fatigue - once on a Belgian sour weekend when I went through a bunch at a trendy beer bar Friday night and followed it up with a day of sours selected from a great package store.  Even so, I say, man that Brux was good!  But then it all started to taste too similar.  Lasted for a few days when I sipped anything...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »
It is quitting time.  I am off to attempt to fatigue my palate.  If I am successful, any report back may make little sense.  Wish me luck.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:31:43 pm »
Go get em

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:40 pm »
try sniffing some cracked coffee beans when that happens.

After a while of smelling/tasting the same thing olfactory overload will occur and your brain will just stop paying attention. For some reason I am not able to speculate on a sniff of coffee beans will reset your olfactory senses and you will be able to smell everything like new.

+1

Here is a link to "Olfactory fatigue" info.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_fatigue

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

saberhagen

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 03:27:47 pm »
I think you're experiencing a combination of effects.

1). Palate Fatigue is very real. Kind of like when you cook something with onions. You stop realizing your house smells like onions until you go outside and come back in.

2). I recently read, either in Mitch Steele's IPA book or the Brewing Elements Hops book, that your body chemistry can actually change the chemistry in the glass as you drink it. Saliva + Hoppy chemicals = differing tastes from top to bottom of glass. (Maybe that was a dream I had, though...)

3). You suffer from homebrewer self doubt! I have the same affliction. My opinion on a batch can change from glass to glass (or sip to sip!). That's when I have to remember that I love beer and to not worry about it!

:)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 08:03:11 am »
try sniffing some cracked coffee beans when that happens.

After a while of smelling/tasting the same thing olfactory overload will occur and your brain will just stop paying attention. For some reason I am not able to speculate on a sniff of coffee beans will reset your olfactory senses and you will be able to smell everything like new.

+1

Here is a link to "Olfactory fatigue" info.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory_fatigue

Thanks for posting that. I will try that. I love the smell of coffee beans, so it's a great suggestion.

3). You suffer from homebrewer self doubt! I have the same affliction. My opinion on a batch can change from glass to glass (or sip to sip!). That's when I have to remember that I love beer and to not worry about it!

:)
I think this might have A LOT to do with it. I need to remember that it's just beer and if there are no off flavors, there is nothing wrong with it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:07:48 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 11:26:44 am »

amen to that - a lot of us are too hard on ourselves, and I am the biggest offender.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:44 am »

amen to that - a lot of us are too hard on ourselves, and I am the biggest offender.

Me too.  That IPA I posted about in this thread(where I thought the aroma had faded) had me furious until I tried it the next day and realized how good it was.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »

Me too.  That IPA I posted about in this thread(where I thought the aroma had faded) had me furious until I tried it the next day and realized how good it was.
This very thing is happening to me on my current IPA. I hate that I'm so sensitive *cries*
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 02:56:53 pm »
Another thing to consider is over carbonation. Maybe I read your post wrong, and I'm too lazy to go back and reread it now. But sounds like you are putting a beer on tap a few days later you are starting to experience pallet fatigue. Over carbonated IPA loses much of it's pleasant flavors when over carbonated and I believe that carbonic acid forms that has affects the hops profile more in highly hopped beers as opposed to lower hopped beers (no science there, just sensory).

Also, IPAs and IIPAs are extremely sensitive to oxidation so be sure you are purging you corny before racking. Oxygen can quickly cause hop aroma and flavor to fade.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 06:41:33 am »
Another thing to consider is over carbonation. Maybe I read your post wrong, and I'm too lazy to go back and reread it now. But sounds like you are putting a beer on tap a few days later you are starting to experience pallet fatigue. Over carbonated IPA loses much of it's pleasant flavors when over carbonated and I believe that carbonic acid forms that has affects the hops profile more in highly hopped beers as opposed to lower hopped beers (no science there, just sensory).

Also, IPAs and IIPAs are extremely sensitive to oxidation so be sure you are purging you corny before racking. Oxygen can quickly cause hop aroma and flavor to fade.
Thanks, man. I could be over carbonating. I have my regulator set to 10 PSI, and I just measured the beer temp coming out of the tap at about 36F the other day.  Which is weird/slightly annoying since I have my temp controller set to 40F with a dIF set to 5. Maybe I'll lower my PSI to 8.
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 11:42:28 am »
2). I recently read, either in Mitch Steele's IPA book or the Brewing Elements Hops book, that your body chemistry can actually change the chemistry in the glass as you drink it. Saliva + Hoppy chemicals = differing tastes from top to bottom of glass. (Maybe that was a dream I had, though...)

I can just see it now - "Backwash IPA". Sort of like chicha, but way grosser.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer