Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dealing With Non-Homebrewers  (Read 13795 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dealing With Non-Homebrewers
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 03:06:11 pm »
I had an employee show up at my house one afternoon while I was brewing.  The first thing he noticed were my 6 taps and his comment was that he wished he had come to my house first with a few growlers instead of going to the beer store.  I politely but firmly told him I would love to teach him to brew so he could enjoy the fruits of a few 6-8 hour brewdays but homebrewed doesn't mean free.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 03:11:39 pm »
I'm dealing with this same issue.  I've always got home brew and regional craft beers (Red Hook) at the house.  And when family comes over, I always get a half-rack of a BMC beer, because I know that's what my two son-in-laws drink at there own home.  The problem is they always grab a Red Hook, or a pour off the kegerator. 

And when I go to their house, all they offer me is Icehouse.  And if I bring my own Red Hook, they start drinking that. 

For the Seahawk game this past Monday night, I hid the Redhook in one of my keg storage keezers.  And I just went on got one for myself when I wanted one.  I think they are starting to "get the message."

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 03:15:29 pm »
And when I go to their house, all they offer me is Icehouse.  And if I bring my own Red Hook, they start drinking that. 

That qualifies for a "hey! WTF!"

Direct action sometimes needs to be taken.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 03:17:33 pm »

LOL, I prefer "Come on, man" and then I say "no thanks, you got any milk"."

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »

I often use it as an opportunity to 'kill the keg' so i can get the next batch up on tap.

Don't tell them, but I use my friends for this all the time. I don't think they really mind though... ;D

Same here.  I will actually tell them I need space in the kegerator for another beer and they are happy to help! 

Same here. Never a shortage of people to empty a keg so I can put something else on.  I couldn't brew as often without it !  I've gotten gift certificates for my LHBS too. Love that .    :)
Jon H.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:30 pm »
you could just have a tap with something horrible in it and hide the good homebrew. 
Don AHA member

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »
you could just have a tap with something horrible in it and hide the good homebrew.

I call that my "cream ale" tap.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »
I recently received a $100.00 gift certificate for my LHBS from a group of friends with a note attached thanking me for the beer.

I gotta say: You have cool friends!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 06:04:10 am »
  The first thing he noticed were my 6 taps and his comment was that he wished he had come to my house first with a few growlers instead of going to the beer store. 

That's just rude. Or as my mom would say, "tacky"

What if he had said the same thing about something else? Maybe he takes a look in your fridge and remarks that he should have just taken the food out of your fridge instead of going to the grocery store. No one would do that.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 06:12:43 am »
  The first thing he noticed were my 6 taps and his comment was that he wished he had come to my house first with a few growlers instead of going to the beer store. 

What if he had said the same thing about something else? Maybe he takes a look in your fridge and remarks that he should have just taken the food out of your fridge instead of going to the grocery store. No one would do that.

+1.  I reward good behavior with homebrew, not bad.  That's pretty lame (and "tacky") !
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 07:51:46 am »

or "I brought my own" and pull out a bottle of water.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 08:24:18 am »

Or maybe he just meant he would have brought growlers and offered to pay for the homebrew, which would be a compliment.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:12 am »

"I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *lite* beer?" Biff Tannen

Haha. That's lame. I don't mind giving people samples and pints when they come over. But I don't really want to be giving people growler fills at will. Unless it's beer I want to get rid of.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2013, 09:37:31 am »
My solution is to live so far from other people that there's no one around to drink my beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2013, 09:53:50 am »
I hid my 22oz glasses from a friend who will drink a gallon+ in a sitting. Greedy greedy. Then he complains when I go to his house and neglect to pick up some beer on the way. And he never brings anything.

Truth is I really don't care about the beer- the audacity though, that cheeses me totally. There have been times when I've said "not ready yet" even though it's already in the kegorator... But, ultimately this is a friend of over thirty years and when he likes a particular batch I'm like knock yerself out dude...

Gives me the opportunity to brew more cause I can't drink it all myself. I've tried. Lord knows I've tried...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis