Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dealing With Non-Homebrewers  (Read 13793 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Dealing With Non-Homebrewers
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:27 am »
I think that's the key. 

Most of us have no problem sharing our beer.  In fact, we love it.

But, when it becomes very one sided, even the most generous of folks will get a little irritated.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:38 am »
My solution is to live so far from other people that there's no one around to drink my beer.

Bingo!!!

Offline dflittle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 11:12:28 am »
I don't brew enough, yet, to have this particular problem!
However, I've done BBQ Competitions, catering, workshops, etc. and I spend a lot of time cooking for others at home, church, etc. and it seems I never get any reciprocation! Fortunately, it only bothers me when I'm feeling down on myself (not too often), but homebrewing isn't the only much appreciated, never returned "hobby" around. Just sayin'  8)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 11:54:57 am »

Truth is I really don't care about the beer- the audacity though, that cheeses me totally.
Agree with that. Beer will always be there, you can brew more, that's not the problem. It's people taking advantage and taking you for granted that isn't okay.
Jesse

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »
  The first thing he noticed were my 6 taps and his comment was that he wished he had come to my house first with a few growlers instead of going to the beer store. 

That's just rude. Or as my mom would say, "tacky"

Are you from the South?  The employee is so he would have understood "tacky"
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2013, 12:33:40 pm »

Truth is I really don't care about the beer- the audacity though, that cheeses me totally.
Agree with that. Beer will always be there, you can brew more, that's not the problem. It's people taking advantage and taking you for granted that isn't okay.

Something my dad taught me was to never hang around people who take advantage of you. Perhaps that's why I don't have the OP's problem... hmm. 
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2013, 01:03:28 pm »
  The first thing he noticed were my 6 taps and his comment was that he wished he had come to my house first with a few growlers instead of going to the beer store. 

That's just rude. Or as my mom would say, "tacky"

What if he had said the same thing about something else? Maybe he takes a look in your fridge and remarks that he should have just taken the food out of your fridge instead of going to the grocery store. No one would do that.

Or maybe he just meant he would have brought growlers and offered to pay for the homebrew, which would be a compliment.
Or it could have been a joke that just fell flat.

My solution is to live so far from other people that there's no one around to drink my beer.
Bingo!!!
One of these days I'm going to knock on all three doors in your town until I find you.  That goes for both of you.   ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 07:31:59 pm »
... homebrewing isn't the only much appreciated, never returned "hobby" around. Just sayin'  8)

Ha!  I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down...

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:31 pm »
My in-laws mock my homebrew and make yeast infection jokes.  They'd drink cat piss if it were in a Yuengling bottle, tho.  It used to bother me, but now I realize they're not worthy.  I never bring homebrew to family events.

That's funny! Are we related?!?

I'd love to share my homebrew but in my entire circle of family/friends/strangers/vagrants, there are precisely two people who appreciate homebrew. The rest think there's something wrong with it if it doesn't taste like (insert commercial brew here)_______ Light/Lite  :-\
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline Barleypopmaker_

• 1st Kit
    • Barleypopmaker's Beer Blog
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2013, 08:46:13 pm »
I have an open fridge policy. Anything on tap is fair game, after I all I brew for the enjoyment of the hobby and don't horde my homebrew. However I have strict rules about bottles. Because I save some bigger beers for special occasions I make it clear that the beers in the door are off limits. The good thing is, people who are not familiar with beer tend to leave them alone because they fear the unknown. People who are well versed in beer totally understand and respect my rule. However if it ever became expected that I bring beer, or bring good beer to someone elses event. That would be a different story all together. If I'm coming to your event, I'll bring some homebrew. But don't expect me to bring a case of craft beer while you serve up some bud light.
I know you drank the beer, but did you experience it?

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2013, 08:20:01 am »
I, too, have an open fridge policy. I don't mind bringing home brew, and home made wine, to parties and special occasions. If someone takes advantage, it reveals to me a lot about them.

Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver.  II Corinthians 9:7
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2013, 08:52:01 am »
A few years ago I had some very delicious alt on tap. My wife invited some folks to Thanksgiving dinner that year that she knew from work. She was trying to be nice. I poured the husband an alt and he told me how great it was and I told him to "help himself" and he proceeded to attempt to kick the keg himself, getting fairly smashed at Thanksgiving dinner. I honestly think he drank close to half the keg himself - he was a big guy.

Thing is, I don't think these people think about draft beer the same as bottled beer. Had I put a six pack in the fridge he may have had three and then held back. But give people who are not familiar to draft beer access to a keg and many of them approach it as if it is a water fountain flowing with never ending free beer.

I never did cut the guy off, just let him have at it but I never invited him back and I was thankful that it was a 10 gallon batch and that I had another keg in reserve.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 09:02:52 am »
+1.  I've noticed the exact same thing for years.  My circle of friends are pretty good about bringing over good craft beer to share along with my beers (though it's not expected), but ever so often a guy turns up that thinks he's at a frat party chugging from the bong. Those guys don't get invited back either !
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2013, 10:29:46 am »
Wow i must be lucky.  My friends never ask for beer, we just bring it along if its available.  All of them compliment it and love it but its a lot more potent then they are used to and tread lightly around our 9-10% beers.  That being said the secondary circle of family are complete asses about it and expect it upon demand.  they are of course snotty rich jerks thats dont get much;)

To the OP.  You are always allowed to say "i dont have anything available".  Maybe after doing this 5-6 times he will catch on.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2013, 01:28:36 pm »
I share freely with my guests and expect nothing in return. When I go to their house I bring enough homebrew to share. When I attend a party I'm the guy who shows up with a keg or two. When my club has an event they can always count on me to bring a keg. I don't keep score and never expect anything in return. I brew often and always have a steady supply so I share what I can. Homebrewers are kind, generous, and cool.

I few weeks ago I sort of crashed a party, but since I brought a keg of homebrew I was pretty well recieved!   ;D