Author Topic: Dealing With Non-Homebrewers  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing With Non-Homebrewers
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:38 AM »
I have always asked, when invited to someone's home, I ask "what can we bring?".  More often than not the answer is "you don't need to bring anything".  I normally bring a couple of bottles of wine anyway (one to serve at the gathering and a special one as a thank you).

When I have invited people to my home for an evening, weekend or a week I fully expect to supply all the food and drink necessary for the time frame they are staying.  If they invite themselves then some of it is on them.

What really bugs me is when people come our Oktoberfest carrying a 12 pack of BMC and then leave it in my beer fridge at the end of the night.  I typically have 5 beers on tap in a wide range of flavors and these folks won't even take a taste of any of my beers.  That is frustrating.  One year I actually  keptthe 5 left over Coors Light cans in the fridge for a year and served them to these folks at the next O-fest.  It was for naught thou.  The never even noticed it was 12 months old.

I can see your frustration if people are over a couple times a month but in my case, folks only come a couple times a year and I'm happy to share.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:25 AM »
I don't mind sharing my homebrew with people who will appreciate it. I do get a lot of people who ask to try/bring/give them beer and sometimes it is borderline demanding free beer. Like my wife and I are expected to bring free beer anywhere we go. I brew a wide variety of beer so not only do I get the request for beer but also to bring a whole variety pack. There's a lot of, "I should have told you to bring some of that homebrew beer." Told me. Not asked me.

I know with my friends it doesn't come from a place of being selfish or rude. They wouldn't be my friends if I believed that. They are just interested in trying out the beers and it comes across in the wrong way. Like since I make it at home it's just free and for some reason if it's beer there's an unlimited free supply. I have friends that do other things at home or cook dinner. I never tell them to make me a steak before they come over. It's just sort of a weird dynamic. My friends are generous in other ways so I overlook the way it is requested. They also don't push if I tell them I don't have anything to share at that time.

However, people who are not my friends or family don't get that grace. My wife's coworkers occasionally request beer from us. I am friends with some and they are welcome to my beer but guys I've never met have no entitlement to my beer. I'm not sending my wife with six packs of beers to people I don't know. They want to come try my beers then they should ask to hang out with me and have some beer. We're not running a free beer delivery service.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline jeffy

• Brewmaster General
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Good Points, ram.  I like to share my beer, but I don't feel like giving it all away.  Some of my friends seem to think, as you mentioned, that we as homebrewers have an unlimited free supply of beer.  It makes me think of the ad that Charlie has in Zymurgy - this is my homebrew, make your own.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
My old man got three bombers from me for his 90th. Someone asked me where's mine? In my most sincere sounding voice I replied, I didn't know you wanted some.

Offline chinaski

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 07:15:07 PM »
I have always asked, when invited to someone's home, I ask "what can we bring?".  More often than not the answer is "you don't need to bring anything".  I normally bring a couple of bottles of wine anyway (one to serve at the gathering and a special one as a thank you).

I generally go this route too.  If I'm going to host, I'm going to host and do it up right.  I thank people for bringing stuff to share but don't expect it.  By the same token, I'll bring a growler or two with me to a dinner party or bbq because I'm proud of my beer and like sharing it.  I'm always puzzled when folks show up to things with beer and don't share it- sets an awkward tone in my book.

Offline thirsty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
If people don't want to drink my amazing beer, it's ok with me. That just means more for the rest of us.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
They'd drink cat piss if it were in a Yuengling bottle, tho.

I thought they did put cat piss in Yuengling bottles.

As far as sharing homebrew, I rarely take it to family gatherings as it is not much appreciated there.  I'm happy to bring it to parties where it is requested and guests at our house are welcome to drink it if they like, or not. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
The two taps at my house are open to all guests.  If I know they have a less discerning palate or only like certain styles I'll pour a taster first...like others I hate to see a half full pint sitting around at the end of the night.  My friends know I homebrew, but they also know my style selection is continually rotating, so if they want something specific they bring it.

As far as parties...I often bring homebrew, but usually just for me.  Most people (casual beer drinkers, not craft beer enthusiasts) will stick to what they know, be it BMC, Shocktop, or Sam Adams.  They often like my homebrew, but are satisfied with drinking the same old thing.
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning: SMASH Pale Ale
Fermenting: nada
Planned: Vienna Lager, Imperial Red, Oatmeal Stout

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
I share my brews pretty freely because I brew alot more than I can drink.  Luckily I have plenty of beer geek friends and family members who appreciate craft beer - but the first guy who threw out the condescending yeast infection cracks would get damn sure cut off, and free to drink his Miller Lite (or whatever).

i'm in the same boat.  I brew way too much, though I do drink my fair share, and I'm always happy to bring to people who appreciate it.

I often use it as an opportunity to 'kill the keg' so i can get the next batch up on tap.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline AmandaK

• Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 06:32:13 AM »

I often use it as an opportunity to 'kill the keg' so i can get the next batch up on tap.

Don't tell them, but I use my friends for this all the time. I don't think they really mind though... ;D
Amanda Kertz
Kansas City Bier Meister
BJCP National

Redbird Brewhouse - Current Project: Full Basement Bar Build

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »

Don't tell them, but I use my friends for this all the time. I don't think they really mind though... ;D
Same here. I don't brew more than I can drink, I try to match my consumption rate. I've found 3.5 gallon batches (3 in the keg) is about perfect for having 3 taps last about 3-5 weeks each. Since I'm mainly the only person drinking my beer with the occasional friend stopping over or my girlfriend has a little here and there, I don't need to brew as big of batch sizes.
Anyway, I like sharing my beer. In fact, I get a little offended if I bring beer to a gathering and no one drinks it. It especially upsets me when I bring beer to parties on my dad's side of the family and my dad doesn't ask about my beer and I have to ask him if he wants any.
But like most people here, if someone wants to come over and have a couple pints, I'm cool with that. I'd see it as a compliment to my beer if people were requesting that I bring beer to parties and whatnot. Doesn't mean you have to. Why all the rules?
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
If you are expected to be the "beer guy", that could also just be a reflection of the fact that they recognize your love and passion for beer and gladly defer the beer choice to your expertise, much the same way that one would let their wine snob friend or relative choose the wine at a restaurant.  However, if it is purely a one-sided affair in that they don't bring anything (food, wine, flowers, etc.) when they visit, but expect it of you, then that is an issue of manners, not homebrew.

I love to share my beer with those who really seem to enjoy it, but I never push it on anyone.  I secretly fear being the person who always gifts you with the unwanted fruitcake that you end up throwing out.  However, at my old job the company would have a summer picnic and I was volunteered to handle the beer.  I brought two cases, one commercial and one of mine.  In the commercial case I mixed it up with the usual crowd pleasers: Corona, etc.  Mine was 12 Irish reds and 12 blondes.  At the end of the picnic there were only two of my beers left and only two commercial beers consumed, so that made me feel pretty good.  Since my Dad passed, I'm about the only person who drinks my beer so it is rare that I get any feedback on it.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
I provide homebrew to anyone who comes over, if they want it.  I also take my kegs to parties if it is okay with party givers. 

I recently received a $100.00 gift certificate for my LHBS from a group of friends with a note attached thanking me for the beer.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »
I recently received a $100.00 gift certificate for my LHBS from a group of friends with a note attached thanking me for the beer.

I've gotten those.  Those people get a mixed case at Christmas.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

Same here.  I will actually tell them I need space in the kegerator for another beer and they are happy to help! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg