Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To clone or not to clone  (Read 20079 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Re: To clone or not to clone
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 07:41:41 pm »
I've brewed a lot of clone recipes, but I really don't get hung up on whether or not they're exact copies.  In fact, I rarely even do side-by-side tastings with the commercial versions.  For me, the attraction is finding a recipe that will get me close to a beer that I'm familiar with and that I really enjoy. 

I've brewed just over 100 batches and I'm just now homing in on a good set of house recipes.  FWIW, none of the beers in my standard lineup are clone beers.  Now that I've identified some recipes that I really like, I know what to expect when I'm making the beer.  Since I'm the one person who drinks most of the beer I brew, I like to be fairly certain that it's something I'll enjoy. 

As I've learned more about recipe formulation and brewing techniques, I've strayed from clone recipes and sought out more traditional recipes.  I've been exploring the recipes in BCS, which are great because the nuances of the style are described pretty well, and the provided recipes are pretty much guaranteed to produce a good representation of the style.  I look at Jamil's recipes as a starting point - I brew them as written and then start to think about tweaks to make them suit my tastes. 

I think my current favorite beer (and one that's always popular with just about anybody) is Waldo Lake Amber.  Thanks, Denny!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2013, 11:45:56 am »
I hope this isn't seen as advertising, but for those of you who want to brew recipes from breweries ("clones" or not), there's a new book coming out in Jan.

http://www.qbookshop.com/products/211160/9780760344743/Craft-Beer-for-the-Homebrewer.html

Here are the recipes....

CHAPTER 1: Pale Ales & IPAs.................................................12
8-Bit, Tallgrass Brewing Company................................................14
Capt’n Crompton’s Pale Ale, Epic Brewing....................................18
Elevated IPA, La Cumbre Brewing Company.................................20
Furious, Surly Brewing Company.................................................24
Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Brewing Company...................................26
Maharaja, Avery Brewing Company..............................................30
Spiral Jetty, Epic Brewing ..........................................................34
Thrust!, Red Eye Brewing Company.............................................38
Watershed IPA, Oakshire Brewing................................................40
CHAPTER 2: Porter s & Stouts..............................................44
Buffalo Sweat, Tallgrass Brewing Company...................................46
Malpais Stout, La Cumbre Brewing Company................................48
Smoke, Surly Brewing Company..................................................50
Snowstorm 2009 Baltic Porter, August Schell Brewing Company....54
CHAPTER 3: Wheat & Rye Beers.............................................58
Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A., Shmaltz Brewing..............................60
Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale, Lagunitas Brewing Company..............64
Rugbrød, The Bruery..................................................................66
Wiley’s Rye Ale, Stone Cellar Brewpub.........................................70
CHAPTER 4: Belgians.............................................................74
Allagash Black, Allagash Brewing Company..................................76
Allagash Curieux, Allagash Brewing Company...............................80
Matacabras, Dave’s BrewFarm.....................................................82
Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks.....................................................84
Salvation, Avery Brewing Company..............................................88
Scarlet 7, Red Eye Brewing Company..........................................90
Saison Rue, The Bruery..............................................................94
CHAPTER 5: Other Ales..........................................................96
90 Shilling Ale, Odell Brewing Company......................................98
Dead Guy Ale, Rogue Ales..........................................................102
El Lector, Cigar City Brewing.......................................................106
Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Rogue Ales.............................................110
Hellion, TRVE Brewing...............................................................112
Ill-Tempered Gnome, Oakshire Brewing........................................116
Imperial Red Ale, Marble Brewery................................................118
Kölsch 151, Blue Mountain Brewery............................................122
Levitation, Stone Brewing Company.............................................126
Nugget Nectar, Tröegs Brewing Company......................................130
Xenu, Cigar City Brewing............................................................134
CHAPTER 6: Lagers.................................................................136
Select, Dave’s BrewFarm............................................................138
Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner, Shmaltz Brewing...........................142
Schell’s Pils, August Schell Brewing Company..............................144

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2013, 11:58:11 am »
Awesome! Pre-ordered it!

Most cooking is cloning. From what I've seen, some people enjoy figuring out how to replicate a beer (or any other foodstuff) when the recipe is unknown; some enjoy the replication itself (being able to mirror a recipe when the ingredients and process are known); some enjoy tweaking it to be their own. Some enjoy all of it. I think I am mostly #2.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 01:05:53 pm »
I hope this isn't seen as advertising, but for those of you who want to brew recipes from breweries ("clones" or not), there's a new book coming out in Jan.

http://www.qbookshop.com/products/211160/9780760344743/Craft-Beer-for-the-Homebrewer.html

Very nice!  I've pre-ordered it Denny!  I look forward to "cloning around" with the(your) recipes!!!!

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 01:36:37 pm »
I love it.  I intend to make one 'Inspired by" Avery's Salvation!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »
There are some really nice looking recipes in there.  I recommend you check out the Watershed IPA and Ill tempered Gnome from Oakshire.  You've probably never heard of them or tried their beers, but they do some great stuff!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 03:00:19 pm »
Where do the recipes come from? Have these been provided by the breweries themselves? Other "clone brew" recipe books out there haven't been even close on a lot of their recipes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 03:30:18 pm »
I'm sure I must have bought one of the original "clone" books way back in the day.  I'd only brewed a few batches and remembered thinking I'd struck gold with that book. I think I brewed the alleged Guinness clone
(and brewed it to the letter) and ended up with something cloyingly sweet, sweeter than a milk stout, that finished at ~ 1.020 IIRC. Not exactly accurate !   ;D
Jon H.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
There are some really nice looking recipes in there.  I recommend you check out the Watershed IPA and Ill tempered Gnome from Oakshire.  You've probably never heard of them or tried their beers, but they do some great stuff!
Thanks for posting the list, I was going to ask on the NB Forum

I knew Matt at Oakshire when he was at Flossmoor Station and was happy I was able to find some of his beers in Seattle last winter. I look forward to seeing his recipes.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 06:34:26 pm »

Denny...you

;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 07:17:16 pm »
? Swashbuckler?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 09:00:33 am »

Here are the recipes....

CHAPTER 1: Pale Ales & IPAs.................................................12
8-Bit, Tallgrass Brewing Company................................................14
Capt’n Crompton’s Pale Ale, Epic Brewing....................................18
Elevated IPA, La Cumbre Brewing Company.................................20
Furious, Surly Brewing Company.................................................24
Hop Stoopid, Lagunitas Brewing Company...................................26
Maharaja, Avery Brewing Company..............................................30
Spiral Jetty, Epic Brewing ..........................................................34
Thrust!, Red Eye Brewing Company.............................................38
Watershed IPA, Oakshire Brewing................................................40
CHAPTER 2: Porter s & Stouts..............................................44
Buffalo Sweat, Tallgrass Brewing Company...................................46
Malpais Stout, La Cumbre Brewing Company................................48
Smoke, Surly Brewing Company..................................................50
Snowstorm 2009 Baltic Porter, August Schell Brewing Company....54
CHAPTER 3: Wheat & Rye Beers.............................................58
Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A., Shmaltz Brewing..............................60
Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale, Lagunitas Brewing Company..............64
Rugbrød, The Bruery..................................................................66
Wiley’s Rye Ale, Stone Cellar Brewpub.........................................70
CHAPTER 4: Belgians.............................................................74
Allagash Black, Allagash Brewing Company..................................76
Allagash Curieux, Allagash Brewing Company...............................80
Matacabras, Dave’s BrewFarm.....................................................82
Funkwerks Saison, Funkwerks.....................................................84
Salvation, Avery Brewing Company..............................................88
Scarlet 7, Red Eye Brewing Company..........................................90
Saison Rue, The Bruery..............................................................94
CHAPTER 5: Other Ales..........................................................96
90 Shilling Ale, Odell Brewing Company......................................98
Dead Guy Ale, Rogue Ales..........................................................102
El Lector, Cigar City Brewing.......................................................106
Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Rogue Ales.............................................110
Hellion, TRVE Brewing...............................................................112
Ill-Tempered Gnome, Oakshire Brewing........................................116
Imperial Red Ale, Marble Brewery................................................118
Kölsch 151, Blue Mountain Brewery............................................122
Levitation, Stone Brewing Company.............................................126
Nugget Nectar, Tröegs Brewing Company......................................130
Xenu, Cigar City Brewing............................................................134
CHAPTER 6: Lagers.................................................................136
Select, Dave’s BrewFarm............................................................138
Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner, Shmaltz Brewing...........................142
Schell’s Pils, August Schell Brewing Company..............................144

I like that there are some recipes for La Cumbra and Marble in there. Those were fine beers we had a year back in NM.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 11:04:51 am »
Where do the recipes come from? Have these been provided by the breweries themselves? Other "clone brew" recipe books out there haven't been even close on a lot of their recipes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

They come right from the brewmasters at the breweries.  Then each of us scaled the recipe to homebrew size, and it was double checked by another person.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline spikbeatz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »
Denny. I picked up the kindle version of this book 2 weeks ago and LOVED they include La Cumbre's Malpais Stout. I had the pleasure of having the real thing this past friday and it was flat out awesome. A rich, thick, roasted, slight chocolate, easy drinking stout.

I will be brewing that recipe in the fall. I live in southern NM and only get their Hefenweizen and Elevated IPA which, in my opinion, is the best IPA in the state of NM. Period. I also moving to Germany(USAF member) in July so I'll be a little out of reach for their distribution ;) so needless to say, Elevated and Malpais will be getting brewed A LOT in Germany.

If folks haven't picked this up, you all should. It's a great book and a great read. The insight on the breweries is a great touch. Some of the info, I didn't know.

Cheers all!

Boris

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2014, 01:41:35 pm »
Glad you're enjoying it, Boris.  every time I pick it up, it seems like I change my mind on what to brew next.

www.dennybrew.com