Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving: Some thoughts on homebrewing gratitude  (Read 2356 times)

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
Happy Thanksgiving: Some thoughts on homebrewing gratitude
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:14:49 pm »
It's the day after Thanksgiving and I hope you all shared it and your homebrew with family and friends.  Between my Black Friday "need more stuff" thoughts, I'm going over what I'm truly grateful for in homebrewing.  It starts a little shallow but hopefully gets deeper.

Even though one can homebrew on the cheap, I'm grateful that I don't have to.  There's enough money to possess most of the brewing/serving equipment I desire.

I'm grateful for beer-loving friends who have opened my mind to new styles (thanks Chad) and for those who have taught me so much about brewing (thanks Mike).

I'm grateful for a hobby that provides a consumable canvas for unlimited creativity and a striving towards excellence (whatever that may be).

I'm grateful for the good health to be able to consume my creations and for the continued wisdom and willpower not to indulge just because I can.

I'm grateful for my wife, her love and support, and her continued willingness to taste even the most crazy of my creations.  I never cease discovering that I am truly blessed.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Happy Thanksgiving: Some thoughts on homebrewing gratitude
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:53:03 pm »
Well said.  My situation is very similar, and I also fell blessed.  Homebrewing is fun, but the people we've met through homebrewing are what we're really thankful for.  Cheers
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:54:51 pm »
Here's to all of that. the people, the creativity. it's all good. thankfulness
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Paule33

• 1st Kit
  • Iowa
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 06:23:28 pm »
I agree well said! I told my wife we are the some of the richest people alive. We grow, harvest and brew some of the most wonderful elixirs and get to enjoy the spoils of our labor. Happy Thanksgiving to all! First post...hoping I get it right :)
Paul S.
Member of AHA and
CRAZE  (Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts)

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  Humphrey Bogart

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:30:12 pm »
I agree well said! I told my wife we are the some of the richest people alive. We grow, harvest and brew some of the most wonderful elixirs and get to enjoy the spoils of our labor. Happy Thanksgiving to all! First post...hoping I get it right :)

Welcome, it's a good day to post.  Glad you took the plunge.  Cheers!
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 06:44:49 pm »
I'm very grateful to have a great wife who is supportive of all the time and $$ I spend on this obsession.  I've known guys whose significant others were not so supportive (to say the least).
Jon H.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »
I'm very grateful to have a great wife who is supportive of all the time and $$ I spend on this obsession.  I've known guys whose significant others were not so supportive (to say the least).

Gotta second that one.  Plus, she's really starting to embrace the homebrew/craftbeer lifestyle.  She had a great time at the NHC this year.  The hobby is so much more fun when the wife says "you need to start making 10 gallon batches."
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:05:22 pm »
Man, that's awesome !  My wife doesn't embrace a lot of styles, but I make a Wit, Hefe, fruit beer, or cider for her occasionally so she can have some friends over to share it, and she's thrilled as can be.  She deserves it. Sounds like you got a great one too.
Jon H.

Offline Paule33

• 1st Kit
  • Iowa
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 08:27:49 pm »
Yep she loves IPA's and didn't know that for many years. Activated AHA card yesterday that she got me. Posted today after tapping a keg. Wanted to know if I needed any brewing equipment for Christmas. Life is good!  ;D

P.S. I read some posts by guido to figure out how to add an avatar. Thanks guido

Paul
Paul S.
Member of AHA and
CRAZE  (Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts)

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."  Humphrey Bogart

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 08:39:20 pm »
I like this topic, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm very grateful to family and friends who give me honest feedback on my brews but most of all i'm very thankful to my lovely wife who bought me my first beer kit and equipment kits that got me hooked. it wasn't the best tasting but have improved with each new batch and have even gotten a few BOS. I love this crazy brewing thing and love how I learn more every day.