Author Topic: rosehips in beer  (Read 2582 times)

Offline bierwillumpie

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
rosehips in beer
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »
Hi there,
15 years ago I brewed a tripel with rosehips (the big orange/red ones) with succes. But unfortenately I losted the recipe but not the degustationform :-\. I tried all-grain 10 liter batches with added rosehips during kettle boil and batches with smashed rosehips/pectinase and yeast and then put together with the chilled wort.
Still not succesfull as it was.
Do you have experience with rosehips recipes?
greetings
bierwillumpie from Holland
beer your mind while brewing

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: rosehips in beer
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »
I would think you would want to treat rose hips like fruit, i.e. added in secondary. I find rosehips get much sweeter and more flavourful/pleasant to eat after they have frozen so perhaps freezing first would be helpful. This will also weaken any other biologicals on the fruit AND break up cell walls to maximize juice/flavour extraction.

so actual experience beyond that. I think the brasserie Dieu du Ciel has a beer with rosehips.they might be willing to give you some hints if you contact them. They are primarily french speakers I believe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »
Perhaps "dry hipping" would be the way to go. I have played around with rose hips a few times and adding them at flame out gave an odd flavor (kind of reminded me of blood) that I didn't care for.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline bierwillumpie

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
Hi there,

Thank you for your answers. I've found something about Jopenbier; a Polisch beer with rosehips. Un fortunately without a recipe.
I've brewed an all grain Belgian Ale type
74,4 % pilsmalt 3 ebc
23.3 % munchenermalt 16 ebc
2,3% caracrystal 120 EBC
20 gram Saaz 3,9 alfa acid 90 min boiled 22 EBU
and 100 grams rosehips and 10 min boiled with Irisch moss
OG 1048
FG 1012
yeast: Safale S-04
It is still in the bottle for lagering , not very clear (doesn't bother me) No reddisch its color is 17 EBC measured before botteling.
anxious fot the outcome :)
bierwillumpie

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
They brewery I worked for had a really good sour that was aged on rose hips. Delicious.
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:08:52 AM »
Brooklyn Brew Shop has a book titled "Beer Making Book: 52 Seasonal Recipes for Small Batches".  They are recipes for 1 gal. batches, but they also give 5 gal, versions.  They have a recipe "Rose-Cheeked & Blonde".  It is a Belgian blonde ale and they use rose hips 20 minutes into the boil.  At the end of the 60 minute boil, rosebuds and Belgian candi sugar are added.  Hope that helps.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is alway near.

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
They brewery I worked for had a really good sour that was aged on rose hips. Delicious.
This is really tasty idea
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bierwillumpie

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
Brooklyn Brew Shop has a book titled "Beer Making Book: 52 Seasonal Recipes for Small Batches".  They are recipes for 1 gal. batches, but they also give 5 gal, versions.  They have a recipe "Rose-Cheeked & Blonde".  It is a Belgian blonde ale and they use rose hips 20 minutes into the boil.  At the end of the 60 minute boil, rosebuds and Belgian candi sugar are added.  Hope that helps.
Hi there,

Thank you all for the usefull tips. The outcome of rosehips golden ale is nice. It seems I've made a correct point by brewing A belgian blond ale style beer. Only I boiled the rosehips for 10 minutes. Fortunately I've still 2,5 kilogram rosehips in the freezer, so next batch I will boil them longer.
The beer is a bit acid, but I know that will become less after aging. Otherwise I will use lactic sugar in combination with normal sugar for priming.
greetings Bierwillumpie