Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Centennial Fruit loop beers  (Read 7400 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Centennial Fruit loop beers
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:21 am »
I would try letting your beer clear a bit, rack to secondary and then do your dry hopping. Stan Hieronymous wrote an article in Zymurgy earlier this year about dry hopping experiments he did. The takeaway was that he felt that hop aroma and flavor was better in beers dry hopped this way. The reason: dry hopping in primary with a fair amount of yeast still in suspension can produce some undesireable aromas/flavors from the interaction of hop compounds with excess yeast. I switched to doing this and I like my hop aroma/flavor better than before - it seems cleaner and better. I'd be curious to see if it prevented this in the future for you. It might.
What I got from Stan's NHC talk and articles is that some yeast still in the active stage will give a bio-transformation into aromas that you won't get otherwise. Those are aromas that are desire able, and some brewers like Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker dry hop in primary with about 1 Plato to go, and may add mor dry hops later. On the other hand, Vinnie Cilurzo drops the yeast to dry hop. Both techniques work, I think one needs to think of the desired finished beer aroma, the hops being used, and then select the process to achieve the results.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 07:21:07 am »
I find centennial to be the cleanest, perhaps "brightest", of the "C" hops with the best (to my pallet) American IPA citrus-grapefruity aroma and flavor profile. I have never encountered "fruit loops" which, to me, sound like a fermentation issue.

As far as dry hopping with yeast still present IME if the beer is still too hazy with yeast and you dry hop the yeast will pull a lot of aroma down with them as they drop out and you may have to dry hop again. I try to dry hop once the beer clears some. I've gone as far as fined in primary, dumped yeast after a week and dry hopped after beer brightened.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 11:07:41 am »
I would try letting your beer clear a bit, rack to secondary and then do your dry hopping. Stan Hieronymous wrote an article in Zymurgy earlier this year about dry hopping experiments he did. The takeaway was that he felt that hop aroma and flavor was better in beers dry hopped this way. The reason: dry hopping in primary with a fair amount of yeast still in suspension can produce some undesireable aromas/flavors from the interaction of hop compounds with excess yeast. I switched to doing this and I like my hop aroma/flavor better than before - it seems cleaner and better. I'd be curious to see if it prevented this in the future for you. It might.
[/quote

I went back to racking to secondary before dry hopping after reading that article.  It seemed to clear up some off flavors I was getting and it's now my standard practice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 11:23:23 am »
[/quote

I went back to racking to secondary before dry hopping after reading that article.  It seemed to clear up some off flavors I was getting and it's now my standard practice.

Yeah, for the first IPA I made after reading that article I used the exact recipe I used for the previous one (and I don't do that very often) with the same hop schedule.  Same exact hops too - I had bulk in the freezer. I felt that the hop character was noticeably better. Everybody's process is different, but it worked for me convincingly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:27:29 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.