Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To stock up on "high demand" hops or not?  (Read 3686 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: To stock up on "high demand" hops or not?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 08:02:19 pm »
What's the shelf life in a freezer?  I've had some Magnum for about a year now....

Dave

I really don't have an experienced answer for this, but I would assume if stored properly, you're fine. I just brewed a holiday IPA a few weeks ago. I used newer cascades and cascades that were left over from last year's holiday IPA. They were shrink wrapped and stored in the freezer. They smelled just about identical to each other. I don't have an answer on how it tastes quite yet, but I expect it to be dandy.
Frank

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 08:07:32 pm »
I would assume I'm fine too.  I typically roll them up and squeeze out the air....

Just got a 12lb shipment so need to get brewing!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 09:25:15 pm »
If it comes down to it, you can just brew a few IPA's with an insane amount of hops to mow through that supply pretty fast.

I have a bad habit of wanting to try every new hop variety I can get my hands on. A lot of times I've only been able to get them by the pound. Some are fantastic, and some are "meh". The fantastic ones I have no problem using up, but there are some hops I know I'll probably never use again. I try to justify it by telling myself that I save enough by buying in bulk that I can write off the loss.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 08:09:10 am »
If you can stock up on hops you use frequently, it's a great idea.  I have a couple varieties I use regularly, and I can chew through a pound with little worry about it getting funky.

Nugget is not one of those varieties and I have a bunch I just need to use up or toss.  I also got a deal (I think it was buy one get two free) on French Strisselspalt.  I may never use up three pounds of Strisselspalt but I will try.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 08:32:38 am »
If you find yourself with old hops in your possession I'm sure you could find some lambic brewers who would be willing to take them off your hands instead of seeing them fertilize a landfill.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »
I definitely understand this angsty need to buy hops right now while available but have held off for the most part.  The only thing i bought in bulk was 2.5lbs of the 3 varietals that a local hop farm grows, but they where so cheap that if i have to ditch a pound i wont cry about it.  I also invested in a foodsaver vacuum so i can store them correctly in my hop fridge.  Hopefully it will keep my losses to a minimum:)

The Varietals i bought are Magnum, Nugget and Cascade
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:51 am »
I may never use up three pounds of Strisselspalt but I will try.

It has been many years since I've read Papazian's books, but I recall he really liked Strisselspalt so you might be able to find some recipes in his book(s).  Or maybe I'm just remembering one specific recipe of his...

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
I'm trying to develop a set of house recipes that revolve around primarily, if not exclusively, homegrown hops.  I grow 12+ varieties with varying success.  If I can get 1-2 varieties each for American, English, and German styles than I'm going to be OK.  I think I'm getting there in terms of producing enough for my needs.  Sometimes imposing some limitations on yourself can be a interesting & fruitful challenge.