Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belle Saison Stats?  (Read 7754 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Belle Saison Stats?
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »
I am fermenting a Rye Saison right now with Belle Saison yeast.  Did a great job in primary and tasted pretty good as I racked it over into secondary.

I can't find it in BeerSmith and I would like to have the right yeast listed in the recipe.  Does anyone have the specs (Attenuation, Temps, flocculation) so I can create the yeast in beer smith?

Thanks

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Belle Saison Stats?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
Here's what I used:

Flocculation: Low
Min. Attenuation: 85%
Max. Attenuation 95%
(yes you read that right This is the only yeast I have used that got to a Final Gravity of 1.000)
Min. Temperature 64*
Max. Temperature 80*
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:44:50 pm »
Here's what I used:

Flocculation: Low
Min. Attenuation: 85%
Max. Attenuation 95%
(yes you read that right This is the only yeast I have used that got to a Final Gravity of 1.000)
Min. Temperature 64*
Max. Temperature 80*

My attenuation so far is 86%  ;D

Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:22:39 pm »
this went down to .97 for me.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:29:10 pm »
Attenuation: 93-97%
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:28:25 pm »
When I racked this over to secondary last week it was down to 1.008 (from 1.060).  I noticed today that there was still some activity in the secondary today.  Can't wait to see where this beer ends up.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:09:34 am »
Just finished fermenting my second batch using this yeast.  Went from 1.050 to 1.003.  I am letting cold crash in my basement at 55F for a week before kegging.  This yeast fermented well even at the cellar temp of 55.  I did put a brew belt on after three days to ensure that it finished where I would expect it to.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:49:42 am »
I've gotten it down to 1.000 as well.
Jon H.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 08:29:47 am »
Just finished fermenting my second batch using this yeast.  Went from 1.050 to 1.003.  I am letting cold crash in my basement at 55F for a week before kegging.  This yeast fermented well even at the cellar temp of 55.  I did put a brew belt on after three days to ensure that it finished where I would expect it to.
It seems to have more ester formation at lower temps than I got at higher temps.  The beer turned out very good.  I am pleased with the flavor and attenuation.  Although I will probably still use WLP565 when I have time for a starter.  It's still my favorite saison strain.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:18 pm »
Are you guys pitching 2 packs per 5 gallons? I've read this recommended in a few places on the internets and wondered if that was actually necessary or just yeast lab marketing :)

The convenience can't be beat, but for ~$10 ($4.95\packet at my LHBS), I'd rather go to the trouble of a starter with liquid strains I like

I pitched only a single rehydrated packet into a Saison I've got going now and wondering what to expect.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:06 pm »
Are you guys pitching 2 packs per 5 gallons? I've read this recommended in a few places on the internets and wondered if that was actually necessary or just yeast lab marketing :)

The convenience can't be beat, but for ~$10 ($4.95\packet at my LHBS), I'd rather go to the trouble of a starter with liquid strains I like

I pitched only a single rehydrated packet into a Saison I've got going now and wondering what to expect.

i pitched one packet that had traveled un-refrigerated from Philly, to Vermont, and then back to California over the course of a week. it had no problem getting a 1.050 saison down to 1.000ish
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 07:11:30 am »

Totally unnecessary.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:25 am »

i pitched one packet that had traveled un-refrigerated from Philly, to Vermont, and then back to California over the course of a week. it had no problem getting a 1.050 saison down to 1.000ish

+1.  My one packet got down to 1.000 from 1.055ish.
Jon H.

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:44 am »
Excellent, thanks dudes! I hadn't done calculations based on the cell counts listed on llalemand's site, but figured it would be an appropriate pitching rate as per every other dry yeast out there

Hydrometer sample tasted very nice. Looking forward to seeing how this one shapes up!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 09:18:42 am »
I'm not going to go so far as to recommend to intentionally underpitch, but Belgian & Saison strains are much more sensitive to overpitching compared to other ale strains. I'd be less concerned with needing to pitch an additional pack with the Belle Saison than something like US-05 that I want to ferment really clean. And with US-05, I don't start thinking about using a second pack until the OG gets into the 1.070 range (for a 5-gallon batch).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer