Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Tapping  (Read 1559 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Cider Tapping
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »
Just tapped my recent cider. I used my LHBS early cider, which they get from a local orchard blended specially for hard cider.  So being the early, it is pretty tart which is a good thing. I fermented it dry ( .998FG)
with WY4766 and didn't fortify with any sugar, which I often don't (the juice had an OG of 1.046).  So the 4766 fermented very clean as usual, @ 63F this time, leaving no yeast character and was extremely tart before backsweetening.  I sweetened and tasted until I had just enough sweetness to be a slight counterpoint to the tartness. Very nice apple aroma and clean apple flavor - kind of like a cross between a Granny Smith and a standard cider. I don't think I've made a better one.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cider Tapping
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:41:22 pm »
 :)  Sounds great
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Cider Tapping
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »
Just tapped my recent cider. I used my LHBS early cider, which they get from a local orchard blended specially for hard cider.  So being the early, it is pretty tart which is a good thing. I fermented it dry ( .998FG)
with WY4766 and didn't fortify with any sugar, which I often don't (the juice had an OG of 1.046).  So the 4766 fermented very clean as usual, @ 63F this time, leaving no yeast character and was extremely tart before backsweetening.  I sweetened and tasted until I had just enough sweetness to be a slight counterpoint to the tartness. Very nice apple aroma and clean apple flavor - kind of like a cross between a Granny Smith and a standard cider. I don't think I've made a better one.
Sounds great! Mine came out much better than last years as well.
Dan Chisholm