Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Must refigerate?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Must refigerate?
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:35 am »
Wondering specifically about yeast cakes and starters?

-Sometimes I rack and just leave the cake...with a thin cover of beer..in the carboy for a few days before I harvest it and transfer to mason jar for the fridge.

-A few weeks ago I made a starter, got busy, and forgot about it in the back room where it still sits in the flask with "beer" on top.

I imagine that temperature is key...that room stays about 60-65 this time of year.
What do you folks think?  Am I OK with this rather laggard treatment of my yeast or am I actually harming the yeast and risking something foul? 
Is actual refrigeration critical in the above cases? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Must refigerate?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:53:39 am »
I used to think that some beer left on yeast would protect it some. I wouldn't rinse yeast real well and would refrigerate yeast with a layer of beer in mason jars. I had one grow mold on top of the thin layer of beer even though I was extremely careful with sanitation and boiled all rinsing water. Yeast I've left with no beer on top has never become infected.
I would think that as long as there's nothing wrong with the appearance of your starter you should be fine. I would cold crash it and decant though. Anymore I never leave yeast in a carboy for more than a day if I plan to reuse it.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:00:56 am »
I used to think that some beer left on yeast would protect it some. I wouldn't rinse yeast real well and would refrigerate yeast with a layer of beer in mason jars. I had one grow mold on top of the thin layer of beer even though I was extremely careful with sanitation and boiled all rinsing water. Yeast I've left with no beer on top has never become infected.
I would think that as long as there's nothing wrong with the appearance of your starter you should be fine. I would cold crash it and decant though. Anymore I never leave yeast in a carboy for more than a day if I plan to reuse it.

I have stored yeast in the fridge with beer on top hundreds of times and never seen mold or an infection.  I have to believe it was due to something other than leaving yeast under beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »

I have stored yeast in the fridge with beer on top hundreds of times and never seen mold or an infection.  I have to believe it was due to something other than leaving yeast under beer.

+1 - I call this kind of yeast sample a "bottle of beer" ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »

I really need to check my notes from that beer and see what it was. I may have been experimenting with spices and it may have inflected the batch. I just drank it too fast to notice. The yeast was in the refrigerator longer than it should have been, I'm sure.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 06:49:58 am »
So I am thinking no one thinks storing ale yeast under beer in ambient reasonable temperatures could be detrimental to the yeast?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:14 am »
So I am thinking no one thinks storing ale yeast under beer in ambient reasonable temperatures could be detrimental to the yeast?

sure it's detrimental. but will it make everything go pear shaped? no. your viability will be very negatively affected though. any contamination that is in there that likes temps ~65 but hates them lower than 40 will grow much faster. The Yeast themselves are more active and there for will starve faster when they don't have any food left.

But that doesn't mean you can't use the yeast. On the couple weeks old starter at room temp I would remake the starter before using it though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:07 am »

I wouldn't do it for more than a couple days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:24:26 am »
A few extra days is unlikely to destroy the yeast unless your idea of ambient temperature is over 100F. Or 100C.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:08:36 am »
I'm assuming autolysis occurs at warmer temps without a foodsource. To me this includes room temp. At this point it's better to make a starter out of it (the cake) rather than a repitch. Less chance of off-flavors developing.

BTW what does "refigerate" mean?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 02:39:36 pm »
The yeast was in the refrigerator longer than it should have been, I'm sure.

Time shouldn't matter.  I've stored yeast slurries for 6 months or more with no issues.  I have to burp my containers every so often as the yeast seems to continue producing CO2, which probably helps create an unfriendly environment for other things to grow.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 03:09:58 pm »
sure it's detrimental. but will it make everything go pear shaped? no. your viability will be very negatively affected though.

Ohh nooos....pear shaped!! ;D 

I had not thought about the starving aspect or the autolysis.  I suppose I will step it up tonight and give it some food.

BTW what does "refigerate" mean?

Wow :-[. Guess I need to refiger my spelling.