Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Burst IPA  (Read 6667 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop Burst IPA
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:36 pm »
10 oz. of hops is expensive  :o

Expensive at LHBS prices. Online by the pound makes it much more affordable.

My LHBS sells their hops at a blanket rate of $2.99/oz. Online will range, but normally I pay $0.60-1.50. I do have to bite my tongue when I see others loading up on hops.
+1.  Definitely helps to buy in bulk if you brew a lot of American styles. I use ~ a lb for an AIPA, and that's pretty painful at the LHBS  per oz rate !
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »
10 oz. of hops is expensive  :o

I typically buy for the year at harvest time from HopsDirect and stuff the top of my lagering fridge.  I bought 12 lbs of hops which, combined with about 2lbs of homegrown Cascades and 1lb of homegrown Chinook should last me all year.

It cuts the cost by about 2/3 not including the homegrown......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »
I just kegged this thing.  Holy toledo!  What a cacophony of hop aroma and flavor!  Can't wait to put this one on tap in a few weeks......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 04:54:24 pm »
What varieties did you use Dave?  Sounds great !

EDIT  -  Sorry, read your previous post . Just about every aroma captured in that blend .
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:58:52 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 05:05:44 pm »
What varieties did you use Dave?  Sounds great !

EDIT  -  Sorry, read your previous post . Just about every aroma captured in that blend .

Yea, if the Centennial leaf harvest wasn't a bust I'd have it pretty cornered! 
Dave Zach

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:43 pm »
just returned from the LHBS with ingredients for my hop burst DIPA: 15 lbs 2-row, 0.5 lbs crystal 40, 0.5 lbs crystal 80, 0.75 lbs carapils, 0.75 lbs wheat, 2.0 oz each cascade and Columbus at 15 min, 1.0 oz each Falconers Flight, Sorachi Ace, Simcoe and Calypso at whirlpool, 1.0 oz each of same + 1.0 oz cascade dry hopped in secondary.  White labs 001 yeast. 

Will brew Sunday...

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 06:12:34 am »
just returned from the LHBS with ingredients for my hop burst DIPA: 15 lbs 2-row, 0.5 lbs crystal 40, 0.5 lbs crystal 80, 0.75 lbs carapils, 0.75 lbs wheat, 2.0 oz each cascade and Columbus at 15 min, 1.0 oz each Falconers Flight, Sorachi Ace, Simcoe and Calypso at whirlpool, 1.0 oz each of same + 1.0 oz cascade dry hopped in secondary.  White labs 001 yeast. 

Will brew Sunday...

Fire it up!  Why the carapils and wheat?

I'm going to use all of my homegrown Chinook and Cascades in a DIPA next Friday.  Can't wait!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:00 am »

Will brew Sunday...

I'm going to use all of my homegrown Chinook and Cascades in a DIPA next Friday.  Can't wait!

Dave

I've been using carapils and wheat in my IPA recipes for a few years for head retention. Seems to work for me, have not tried without.   

Used my homegrown cascade fresh in my last IPA, quite a scene as everyone in attendance (usually a party here when we brew) headed out to pick hops! 

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 07:47:12 am »
The hops should give you plenty of head retention.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 07:51:12 am »

+1
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 08:03:47 am »

Will brew Sunday...

Dave

I've been using carapils and wheat in my IPA recipes for a few years for head retention. Seems to work for me, have not tried without.   

Used my homegrown cascade fresh in my last IPA, quite a scene as everyone in attendance (usually a party here when we brew) headed out to pick hops!

Having a crew to pick hope sounds like a good plan for next year!

Dave Zach

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 09:51:45 am »

Will brew Sunday...

Dave

Having a crew to pick hope sounds like a good plan for next year!

Tends to keep my craft beer fridge stocked as well, every tends to bring a few more bottles than get consumed!

Offline milligan101

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 09:52:56 am »

+1

I'll drop from the next recipe and compare.

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 09:55:00 am »

+1

I'll drop from the next recipe and compare.

Thanks

Also, a DIPA really needs to have some sugar in it to keep it from being too thick.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 07:22:10 am »
^^^^^That's a good point.  I'm brewing a DIPA on Friday at my 3rd annual "Man Day" celebration and forgot to add some to my recipe. 

Dave
Dave Zach