Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg hops - Pellets  (Read 4947 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Keg hops - Pellets
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:38:20 pm »
Oh great and Powerful AHA(z)

If I put a couple oz of hop pellets in a fine mesh bag in my keg am I going to regret it when it comes time to serve the beer?

i.e. will there be little bits of hop gunk floating around in the beer and possibly clogging up the dip tube? I am hoping not, other wise I have to lay hands on some whole leaf hops toot sweet.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Keg hops - Pellets
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:39 pm »
i have not had any problems with it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:51:13 pm »
+1.  I use the end of a piece of nylon women's hose weighted down with marbles.  The mesh is fine enough to contain pretty much everything. I've never had the dip tube clog either.
Jon H.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »
I always dry hop in the keg.  Pellets only.  I leave in until through dispensing.  I have never had a problem with debris except when I used Sherwin-Williams one quart paint straining bags.  The weave would slip and let out debris.  I was unhappy.  And, no off flavors for the amount of time in.
AHA Member 900001775

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 03:15:28 pm »
I've done them in a stainless teaball without having any problems.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 03:22:29 pm »
The only time I've dry hopped with pellets I put them in the muslin socks and tucked them behind the out tube.  The result was  delicious but hazy IPA.  Lot's of hop debris. 

Never have that issue with whole hops and I like using the muslin bags.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:44:22 pm »
I dry hop with pellets exclusively and I am lackadaisical about my racking precision. I always end up with some hop material in the keg and it settles out while carbing. First pint or two may have some floaties, but I drink it anyhow.

Offline ketch32

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »
I agree with what has been posted - I only dry hop with fine-mesh nylon bags that can be sterilized and re-used.  The fine-mesh is important and these are not cheese cloth which can expand and have bigger holes.  Allows the flavors through, but not the hops.  I do get some floaties on initial pours, but I also get a little yeast trub, too - it's all part of the process  ;D  I never have gone back to whole leaf and usually dry hop with 3-6+ oz. of pellets - kegs usually never last more than 2 months max, never an issue leaving them in the whole time.  Never have sunk or weighted the bags either, even though I know that they float - I just transfer through the bag into the keg and leave it floating in there.  Probably a little better usage to have them sunk to the draw tube, but if I felt like it needed that, I would have done that.  Just for reference, I live in San Diego and am a huge hop head!  Local brews that I strive to be close in taste/hoppiness for my IPAs: Societe Pupil, Alpine Nelson, Stone Enjoy By - FYI these are hop bombs if you have not had the chance to try. Cheers!
"If one intends to make beer from oats, it is prepared with hops",
Abbess Hildegard of Bingen

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 04:43:00 pm »
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I've keg hopped before but never with pellets and the one time I got significant carryover of hop pellet material into the keg I spent a very frustrating evening releasing the pressure, pulling the out post, cleaning it, putting it back together, pouring half a pint, having it clog again...

repeat until finally I had my housemate with the smallest arms reach into the keg and rubber band a bit of tea ball and muslin over the end of the out tube.

Steve, you probably tasted some of that batch, it was the 'session' IPA I brought to GBA XMAS party two years ago. This one is Also for that party this year so flashbacks...

thanks again!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »
Steve, you probably tasted some of that batch, it was the 'session' IPA I brought to GBA XMAS party two years ago. This one is Also for that party this year so flashbacks...

thanks again!

Sorry, don't remember. I was a bit tanked that night. Ledford had that quaffable Balcones barrel Imperial Stout.

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:50 pm »
Just used one of these for the first time......

Had to cut about a 1/2 inch off the dip tube, and used about an ounce of pellet hops.......worked like a champ, all the pours were clear. Had nothing but hop sledge left after last pour from keg. The flavor and aroma from the hops was fantastic, this is how I'll dry hop from now on.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 06:20:28 pm »
Just used one of these for the first time......

Link please?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 06:50:32 pm »
Shiny, new, metal, beer related, = must have

Offline bucknut

• Cellarman

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »
Thanks! I have one of these... http://www.midwestsupplies.com/racking-cane-steel-mesh-filter.html, but yours looks much finer. Must buy.