Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg hops - Pellets  (Read 4910 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Keg hops - Pellets
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 03:43:39 pm »
Bookmarking that

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 04:00:56 pm »
Sorry, gotta up the ante.  I still use weighted fine mesh bags in a secondary or keg because they are cheap (and work), but I bought one of these lately to play around with  :

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper_p_155.html

Way bigger diameter for hops to circulate and give off their goodness.  Gonna report back soon on its effectiveness, but I love the design.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:58:09 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 01:22:24 pm »
Another vote here for the small size nylon fine-mesh bags with pellet hops, which I use all the time with no problems or hop debris.  Cinch the drawstrings tight kept closed with a good knot and there's no leakage.  Low-tech, inexpensive, decent flow-through, easy to clean and sanitize, and small footprint so low beer displacement.  I tie them off with teflon tape through the lid seal, or to the welded tab with a hole I have on the bottom of one of my keg lids.

I must say that the Stainless Brewing dry hopper is some real eye candy, and I see that the lid sits high enough in the keg that it is retrieved not via a tie off string, but with a sanitized metal hook that snags it easily enough. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:33:31 pm by brewsumore »

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 02:26:36 am »
I've done them in a stainless teaball without having any problems.

This +1 many times. The secret is not to move the keg, and everything settles down just fine.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 11:44:50 am »
Fill fine mesh bag (not muslin bag) with hops and a weight (stainless nuts, tri-clamp, etc).

Tie mesh bag to a fishing bobber with a bit of fishing line (unused bobber/line).

Drop into keg.

Pull when necessary.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 09:24:03 am »
I keg hopped for the first time a few weeks ago.  I made the mistake of using the muslin bag instead of the women's stockings I bought.  I left the bag in too long and the beer started to taste like cotton.  The last gallon of it went down the drain.  Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
mobrewer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 10:14:05 am »
I keg hopped for the first time a few weeks ago.  I made the mistake of using the muslin bag instead of the women's stockings I bought.  I left the bag in too long and the beer started to taste like cotton.  The last gallon of it went down the drain.  Lesson learned.

That sounds like oxidation to me. I've keg hoped with while cones in a cotton sack before and never noticed a cotton flavor and cotton tastes similar to paper.

The fine nylon bag worked just fine by the way. Lots of hop flavor and aroma no floaties
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 10:45:08 am »

That sounds like oxidation to me. I've keg hoped with while cones in a cotton sack before and never noticed a cotton flavor and cotton tastes similar to paper.

The fine nylon bag worked just fine by the way. Lots of hop flavor and aroma no floaties

Possibly but I don't know how.  I flush the keg with CO2 before racking.  I did leave the bag in for 2-3 weeks.  Definitely had cotton aftertaste so I assumed it was the bag.  I will definitely use the nylons next time and take the bag out after I get the desired aroma and flavor.  Keg hops absolutely impart a hop flavor.

Brian
mobrewer