Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash temp for a barleywine?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Mash temp for a barleywine?
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:57:48 pm »
I'm planning on doing an english style barley wine as a partygyle (1st runnings barelywine, second haven't decided yet).  I've got some Golden Promise that I am planning on using as my base malt.

What temp range do you think I should be shooting for a barleywine with an OG in the 1.090-1.100 range?  145-148 F to try and get it as fermentable as possible?  How long should I mash?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Mash temp for a barleywine?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:00:17 pm »
I just tapped a Mild done on Wyeast 1728. Highly suggest it for 2nd run. Yum

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:03:51 pm »
I just tapped a Mild done on Wyeast 1728. Highly suggest it for 2nd run. Yum

Nice!  :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:13:03 pm »
Many recommend 149-151F for single infusions. I have been doing many beers at 153F, as Greg Doss reported the maximum fermentability for that temperature a couple years back at the NHC. Think local maximum of the curve.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:47:07 am »
Many recommend 149-151F for single infusions. I have been doing many beers at 153F, as Greg Doss reported the maximum fermentability for that temperature a couple years back at the NHC. Think local maximum of the curve.

have you seen any interesting results with bigger beers doing this? I read that presentation but I seem to have a block, I still head straight for 148 when the gravity gets up there.

Actually I did a partigyle English BW this weekend and I over heated my strike water so it came in at right around 154. I left it for 90 minutes so we will see.

To answer the OP I like 148 or less because I think even if it finishes a little low (1.010ish) there will be so much sweetness and body just from the alcohol that it will still be a sipper.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:44 am »

have you seen any interesting results with bigger beers doing this? I read that presentation but I seem to have a block, I still head straight for 148 when the gravity gets up there.

Actually I did a partigyle English BW this weekend and I over heated my strike water so it came in at right around 154. I left it for 90 minutes so we will see.

To answer the OP I like 148 or less because I think even if it finishes a little low (1.010ish) there will be so much sweetness and body just from the alcohol that it will still be a sipper.
Another question one can have is how does the curve look for an English Pale Ale malt, vs the Pils malt in the experiment.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:17 am »

Another question one can have is how does the curve look for an English Pale Ale malt, vs the Pils malt in the experiment.

and wasn't the mash time 45 minutes in all cases in that study?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:01:25 am »

and wasn't the mash time 45 minutes in all cases in that study?
I would have to go back and check, but he did a time study too, and found 75 min. to yield the maximum.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:40 pm »
I find that the finished beer's body/mouthfeel depends on the yeast, grain bill and mash temp combo. I prefer my barleywines to finish on the dry side to allow for better drinkability and avoid a cloyingly sweet finish. I also prefer using Chico yeast with an American style hop profile. This coupled with a lower mash temp in/around 148-150F has provided for good results with this beer style in my experiences.
Ron Price