Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How cold can brett go?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
How cold can brett go?
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:14:52 am »
I've been playing around with the idea of fermenting either an all brett or mixed ferment at very cold temps. sort of a farmhouse lager. anybody tried something like this? intentionally or non?

My plan is to spit three gallons into 1 gallon fermenters and pitch straight brett into each and keep them at varying temps.

Right now that would mean room temp 60-70ish, what ever temp I set my ferm fridge at, maybe 50, and the serving fridge which is standard fridge temp so 38ish
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: How cold can brett go?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:56:10 am »
Since brett doesn't survive as well at fridge temps for storage as it does at room temperature I wouldn't think you'll get very far trying to ferment at those temperatures. You might get fermentation at those temperatures but I suspect you'll wait an extremely long time or fermentation will stall early.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 11:58:47 am »
Chad Yakobson say: In 100% brett fermentations, his brett strains don't like to ferment/finish below 68F or so. I'm sure it depends on the strain, but he gave this as a blanket statement, assuming across all strains he uses.

In a mixed fermentation with Sacch and brett, brett will continue to work during conditioning, even at low temps, albeit much more slowly. I can't speak to the differences in flavor profile, but I assume there are some.

Lacto and pedio pretty much go dormant, permanently as far as I can tell, after cold conditioning. I've tried mixed fermentation with slurry from kegs that were previously in the kegorator - not much funk, hardly any acidity.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 03:19:34 pm »
Chad Yakobson say: In 100% brett fermentations, his brett strains don't like to ferment/finish below 68F or so. I'm sure it depends on the strain, but he gave this as a blanket statement, assuming across all strains he uses.

In a mixed fermentation with Sacch and brett, brett will continue to work during conditioning, even at low temps, albeit much more slowly. I can't speak to the differences in flavor profile, but I assume there are some.

Lacto and pedio pretty much go dormant, permanently as far as I can tell, after cold conditioning. I've tried mixed fermentation with slurry from kegs that were previously in the kegorator - not much funk, hardly any acidity.

That's interesting. That's actually kind of what I was hopeing for, that it would remain at least somewhat active during conditioning. I am always amazed at the different behaviours brett seems to display between 100% brett and mixed ferments.

Well, it's on the list of things to try. Maybe I'll tweak the experiment and useit in a mixed ferment.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline grainman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 06:54:13 pm »
I did a brett beer that was done with sach initially, then dumped 1 white labs tube of brett "B" into the keg at about 65F, and in about 1 month it was very Orval Like. I then immediately put it in the fridge at 42F. That beer lasted about 2 months and it never changed while in the fridge.I know that doesn't completely answer the question, but gives you an idea of what my experience was :)