Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

When do you chuck in the aroma hops to get the most aroma out of them?

With 1 minute remaining in the boil
11 (52.4%)
Immediately after flame out
8 (38.1%)
After the wort has stopped steaming
0 (0%)
Later during chilling
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Best time to chuck in the aroma hops?  (Read 3977 times)

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
Best time to chuck in the aroma hops?
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:55:17 pm »
Just curious what people's experience has taught them.  I think, for some reason, that I get less hop aroma now than years ago.  I have been tossing them in a little ways into the chilling process, while I used to dose the wort with a minute left in the boil.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Re: Best time to chuck in the aroma hops?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:44:59 am »
You don't have "dry-hopping as an option.  If it's strictly for aroma, I have to say dry-hop. 
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:10:37 am »
I guess it depends for me. ON some beers I like to add them at WP (or, of course, dry hop, which really should be on your list). But for most of my beers I add the aroma hops at 2 minutes. I don't have any proof but I feel that boiling them for a couple minutes helps to release a little more hop character. That said, I have the ability to chill very quickly. If my chilling took longer than 20 minutes I would always hop at the WP.

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:00:46 am »
I purposely left off dryhopping, and should have explained that, I guess.  I feel like the aroma that comes from the dryhopping is pretty different than that which comes from kettle hopping.  I like it too, but just wondered what method of kettle hopping people found most effective. 

MV-I think I agree with you on the 2 minute addition.  I don't know why, but the hops that get to boil for a quick bit seem to assert themselves more. 

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:19:42 am »
You don't have "dry-hopping as an option.  If it's strictly for aroma, I have to say dry-hop. 

+1
Joe

Offline smurfe

• Cellarman
  • Brewing on the Bayou
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:53:56 pm »
I add mine in the last minute or so of the boil as well. I too can chill very fast, normally in less than 5 minutes for a 5 gallon batch. It works OK. I built a hop back but haven't got a chance to use it yet though. Hopefully next weekend I get to try it out. Need to get some type of big clamp to seal the lid on good.
I cook and I brew down on the bayou

Swampwater Brewing
Gonzales Louisiana

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 07:26:33 pm »
Last night I made a pale ale that was sort of moderately hop bursted.  All the bittering was done within the last 20 minutes and the latest additions were at 2 and 1 minutes.  I'll bet it has a nice aroma.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 12:13:58 pm »
Last night I made a pale ale that was sort of moderately hop bursted.  All the bittering was done within the last 20 minutes and the latest additions were at 2 and 1 minutes.  I'll bet it has a nice aroma.

There's IPA's made with this technique- all late additions. Wish I could find the link... >:(

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline monk

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 07:14:10 am »
I was curious about what people were doing with this technique.  I read an older article by Jamil with his Evil Twin.  Also, last year, I tasted a very delicious hopbursted ale at a Long Beach Homebrewers meeting.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:10:23 am »

There's IPA's made with this technique- all late additions. Wish I could find the link... >:(

Ya mean like this one?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/GriffinSpitIPAAllGrain
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:24 am »
I hopburst almost all my IPA's.... except for dennys ;),
because I have been on this wacko quest for maximum flavor and aroma
with my system.

I tried massive vs moderate flameout additions, and with all other things assumed equal, could not get a appreciable boost in aroma.

I also noticed that the hydrophobic lupulin from large flamout additions also washes up on shore during the first part of fermentation, sticks to the sides up high, and is lost to the mix.

See yellow ring around the collar ;D

Personally, I have found huge flamouts to be a little wasteful, and add them at
dryhop instead.. aroma that can't be beat IMO. ;D

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 11:47:13 am »
Although most of you are talking about the hop aroma typical for American ales here I’d like to chime in with aroma additions for Pilsners. It has been my experience supported by what I found in the literature, that you’ll get a better noble hop character when you boil the aroma hops for 5-10 min. The sources I have suggest that there are oxidizing reactions that create more stable aroma compounds. However, the character of the aroma will be different but more authentic. This talk about oxidation also got me thinking about exposing the hops to air for 1-2 days before using them to brew a beer. I have done that before but had no control that allows me to comment on the effect that this had on the beer.

Kai