Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 74 - Can Denny Brew?  (Read 728 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brew Files Podcast Ep. 74 - Can Denny Brew?
« on: October 30, 2019, 12:10:59 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-74-can-denny-brew

A few episodes back - Denny got to taste Drew's beer and now the tables are turned! Drew tastes and discusses with Denny two of his beers - A Belgian Golden Strong and a Veterans' Blend IPA. Are they any good? What could be changed and what the heck is that bottle Denny used to ship his beers?!?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brew Files Podcast Ep. 74 - Can Denny Brew?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »
Denny I’ve often heard you say (and write) that carbonation should be based on the highest temp that the beer experienced vs the current temp of the beer.  In this episode you made the comment and then later emphasized the point.

Most carbonation charts include instructions something like:

1. Figure out what style of beer you will be force carbonating.

2. Figure out what temperature your keg will be at while carbonating.

3. Find where the color (style of beer) and temperature meet on the chart.  This should be your desired force carbonation pressure.

Can you point me to some further reading on  the theory behind your method?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 01:16:30 pm »
Denny I’ve often heard you say (and write) that carbonation should be based on the highest temp that the beer experienced vs the current temp of the beer.  In this episode you made the comment and then later emphasized the point.

Most carbonation charts include instructions something like:

1. Figure out what style of beer you will be force carbonating.

2. Figure out what temperature your keg will be at while carbonating.

3. Find where the color (style of beer) and temperature meet on the chart.  This should be your desired force carbonation pressure.

Can you point me to some further reading on  the theory behind your method?

Thx

I'm in the middle of about 10 things at the moment, so I can't find the info.  But I can tell you that the theory is that CO2 comes out of solution as the beer warms, and it doesn't gain CO2 of you cool it back down after that.  So the using highest temp the beer has reached is the way to account for that.  Style plays in to how much you carb accounting for the temp.  Current beer temp doesn't really matter.  And I can't even comprehend the color/temp thing.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 05:11:05 pm »
The reason I ask is because everyone says to carb to X ...but X rarely gets me where I think I should be so I’ve always used X+. Now I guess I know why X didn’t work for me and X+ does.

Thx!

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:33:34 pm »
The reason I ask is because everyone says to carb to X ...but X rarely gets me where I think I should be so I’ve always used X+. Now I guess I know why X didn’t work for me and X+ does.

Thx!

A further complication is that, as Denny says, beer that's no longer fermenting will not gain back CO2 as it cools from its peak temperature, but it will slowly continue to lose more CO2 over time.  So you probably need a little more plus on your X. 

But this all is a concern only when priming. 

If you force carbonate, controlling temperature and head pressure, you won't force more CO2 into the beer once it reaches equilibrium, no matter how much of the CO2 was present from fermentation and how much of it is being added. 

Similarly, if you prime or otherwise naturally carbonate with a spunding valve, current temperature and pressure will set the limit, and the beer's history is again irrelevant.

BrewBama, you may have the same experience I do.  The recommended level of carbonation in most guidelines just seems low to my palate.  This may be one of two things.  Some of us may just like our beer fizzier.  Or our serving methods may not deliver the beer into the glass retaining as much of its carbonation as the guidelines assume.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 08:46:14 am »
...I can't even comprehend the color/temp thing.

It’s based on a style legend. Certain carb for certain styles

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 09:09:52 am »
...I can't even comprehend the color/temp thing.

It’s based on a style legend. Certain carb for certain styles

OK, by style makes sense.  Obviously a BGSA is gonna be carbed differently than an English bitter.  It was the color thing that threw me.

www.dennybrew.com

Online BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 09:33:17 am »