Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another thread about plastic buckets (sorry)  (Read 13089 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Another thread about plastic buckets (sorry)
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 10:10:02 am »
... plus I can start a siphon with co2 and the carboy cap. I just soak to clean, siphon liquid out. Semi- clean-in-place kinda deal. I feel it's safer anyway, instead of lifting a full carboy and dumping the water out. Dangerous...

Are you pressurizing a glass carboy?? THAT would be dangerous.

nah, if you use a carboy cap and <3psi it's not really a problem. I think Drew actually did a test that showed the cap would blow off before the carboy exploded... or maybe it was just discussed as an interesting idea... perhaps the mythbuster folks could explore.
Not 3 psi, more like 10 psi, which is what my carbing/serving pressure is set to. Maybe I should lower it when starting the siphon. I just give it a quick shot until I see the beer flowing, maybe 1-2 seconds.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 10:53:02 am »
... plus I can start a siphon with co2 and the carboy cap. I just soak to clean, siphon liquid out. Semi- clean-in-place kinda deal. I feel it's safer anyway, instead of lifting a full carboy and dumping the water out. Dangerous...

nah, if you use a carboy cap and <3psi it's not really a problem. I think Drew actually did a test that showed the cap would blow off before the carboy exploded... or maybe it was just discussed as an interesting idea... perhaps the mythbuster folks could explore.
Not 3 psi, more like 10 psi, which is what my carbing/serving pressure is set to. Maybe I should lower it when starting the siphon. I just give it a quick shot until I see the beer flowing, maybe 1-2 seconds.

yeah, I would use a little pressure as possible for safeties sake. (safety third!)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2013, 11:11:11 am »
I'll add my vote for the 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenters. Pricey? Yes. Well designed, durable, easy to clean, carrying handles, spigot? Yes.

I like the idea of not needing a racking cane or pump to get beer from the fermenter to the keg, and I can clean this easily with my sump pump CIP system.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

yeah, I would use a little pressure as possible for safeties sake. (safety third!)
Wow, so you really think a quick shot of 10 PSI is dangerous? I guess I will lower it to start my siphon then.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 12:48:14 pm »

Wow, so you really think a quick shot of 10 PSI is dangerous? I guess I will lower it to start my siphon then.

I don't know if it's dangerous. It would seem not to be given your past experience and if I am remembering correctly it was shown that the carboy cap will just pop off before the carboy explodes but it only takes one case of me being wrong to seriously ruin your day.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »
Ha, it would indeed seriously ruin my day. Thanks for your concern, I guess I'll consider dropping the PSI. I suppose I could just blow into the other tube to start the siphon, but I don't see the reason to do that as long as I've got co2 as an option.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2013, 09:28:11 pm »
How about an auto siphon?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:29:54 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:53 am »
Eh, I like them in theory, just don't like all the moving parts and plastic.
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 02:43:37 pm »

Like opening water valves slowly to avoid the "hammer" effect, I would go nice and slow opening your gas valves and go no higher than 3-5 psi. 
Safety third, right?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified