Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Counterflow chiller questions  (Read 5255 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Counterflow chiller questions
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 10:36:07 pm »
Interesting to read everyone's comments.  My ground water is probably around 40 degrees so I can cool a 5 gallon batch down to 68 degrees fairly quickly (maybe 20-25 minutes).  I usually go agitate my IC every 5 minutes or so.  I wonder if adding some sort of motorized stirrer would work.  Has anyone ever built one?  Is hot side aeration an issue if trying to do something like this.  It would be nice to have something to get a whirlpool in my kettle to try and get some of the trub from getting out into the fermenter.

I wouldn't worry about HSA too much in this instance. And adding a pump would surely be a lot cheaper and easier than adding a motorized stirrer.

Here's Jamil's article on the Whirlpool chiller set up. It's easy to do and works well. You can use a CFC or IC, up to you. You may get better trub pile with CFC, but IME both work.
http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

Thanks. Forgot to hit paste!

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 11:50:17 am »
I'm jealous of 40 degree chilling water.

That definitely helps a lot.  You probably wouldn't be jealous of me when I'm blowing through propane keeping my boil kettle going in 20-40 below weather!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:56:39 am »
I'm jealous of 40 degree chilling water.

That definitely helps a lot.  You probably wouldn't be jealous of me when I'm blowing through propane keeping my boil kettle going in 20-40 below weather!
True!

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958