Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Air Cooling  (Read 3739 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Air Cooling
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 09:31:18 am »
You guys can divide up my share of snow between you.
Carl, 0/2=0.  :)

I have built up quite a snow bank after all these years of living in Florida and Hawaii.  I was going to use it to combat global warming, but I don't need it.  You guys can have it.

It does snow here, up on the tops of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.  I prefer to brew down here at sea level though.   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
Brewed yesterday morning (dec 8th) first snow of 2013 for Philly area. Never had a wort cool so fast, convenient, except we brew outside. My porch stairs and basement entrance are now a sophisticated ice rink, and my brew keggle is frozen to the deck, but without sacrifice there is no beer. Cheers to my Philthy cats.
-AK

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:02 pm »
I love the efficiency I get chilling in the winter, 6 gallons from boiling to 58 in 12 minutes!

I brew outside, hook up the hoses when ready and let the runoff out into the lawn area to avoid the driveway, the small kids in the hood then go sledding:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 04:14:00 pm »
I love the efficiency I get chilling in the winter, 6 gallons from boiling to 58 in 12 minutes!

I brew outside, hook up the hoses when ready and let the runoff out into the lawn area to avoid the driveway, the small kids in the hood then go sledding:)

Yeah, if there's any benefit to ass-freezing cold temps it would be the low ground water temps. I chilled a Scottish 60/ the other day in about that time frame.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »

Yeah, if there's any benefit to ass-freezing cold temps it would be the low ground water temps. I chilled a Scottish 60/ the other day in about that time frame.
that and the beer I drink while brewing doesn't get warm either:)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 05:32:44 pm »

+2.  Good call.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »

+2.  Good call.

Fast chilling wort, beer staying chilled, and the avoidance of swamp ass are all benefits of brewing in the winter. One thing I don't like is clean up since I have a portable sink and use my chiller run off as my wash water. Rubber gloves only insulate so long.
Frank

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:32 pm »

+2.  Good call.

Fast chilling wort, beer staying chilled, and the avoidance of swamp ass are all benefits of brewing in the winter. One thing I don't like is clean up since I have a portable sink and use my chiller run off as my wash water. Rubber gloves only insulate so long.
+1
Cleanup is the worst part of the day.
I really try to handle what I absolutely have to outside and the rest most definitely gets hauled inside where its warm!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
Heat wash water on the burner. Didn't take me long to learn that trick

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 05:37:45 am »
I run extra long hoses to keep the run off from icing my drive, but go with a closed system with ice from buckets left outside overnight when it is absolutely frigid...but last weekend it was a BIAB on the stove.  Even SWMBO felt sorry for me at 9F with -10F wind chill.  And with the smaller batch size, I was done in no time and cleanup was a snap.  I now see the appeal of BIAB!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"