Author Topic: NHC  (Read 16713 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
Re: NHC
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »
Right you are Joe Sr. (as Janis just pointed out).  I will assume people had things like life get in the way and couldn't send their entries.  When all is said and done, I wonder how many entries under the cap from all the regions.

I've seen too many posts on forums saying "I got 4 entries in the NHC, now I just have to brew something to send".  I asked for the max of 6 entries because I had 6 entries ready to go.  When I got 4, two had to be eliminated.  I just hope this is not the case where people paid for 4 entries and had no idea what they were sending.

Work in progress I guess.
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/jonathan-fuller-3/
Get a grip and Vote for Chip for AHA Governing Committee - http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/chip-walton-3

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 31, 2014, 08:30:59 AM »
Hi guys,

The way it was set up this year was during the application phase for entrants to submit how many entries up to 6 they wanted to enter.  In the interest of getting a true count of the desired entries, we said that if you asked for 6 you would be held responsible to pay for 6 entries or the maximum entry limit to be determined.  This was done in the interest of fairness.  Those who applied but did not pay their entry fees (didn't follow through after the application phase), are the ones who have risked being banned in the 2015 competition.

If you asked for 4 you had to pay for 4.  If you asked for 4 and only have 2 beers bottled, you still had to pay for 4, but you could just send 2 or, if you wanted you could choose to not send any.  Sadly, it appears more than a few people took this route.

Cheers,
Janis

I know one club member who waited too long - basically until he learned he had entry spots - before brewing.  He sent some, but not all of his paid entries as at least one wasn't ready in time.  His own fault, and hopefully next year people will be more prepared.  I suspect 1) knowing that if you volunteered you've got guaranteed spots, and 2) knowing the limit won't be very high - will both help.

The system isn't what I'd prefer, but since we've been told it's what the majority indicated they wanted on the survey, who am I to argue.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
Hi all,

To be clear about this, even when the entry limit was 750 and all 11 competitions had that number registered last year (8,250), we ended up well below that number at 7,757.  That is 493 under the registered maximum, or almost 45 entries missing per competition.

This year we allowed 775 entries as the limit during the registration, because historically that means we'll end up with closer to 750.  There were 4 competitions that based on the preferred judging site were well under the 750 limit let alone the 775 limit.  These competitions were "filled up" by assigning the 124 entrants left out of the 2 rounds of the lottery.  Realistically about 40 to 50% of those people will accept our offer and ship to those competitions. So even though Kansas City (or Seattle, or Austin, or Saint Paul) looked like they had way more entries, the odds are that those will have well under 750 entries submitted.

These unrealized entries are opportunities that have been lost. Hopefully we'll get better at this next year.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »
is 7757 the actual number?

I thought there were 12 First Round regions, so 9000 spots.

*edit* nevermind, I can't read.  I'll leave it there so you can all make fun of me.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:04:19 AM by udubdawg »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Thanks Janis.

I'd say this year was a heck of a lot better than last already. just think what further progress will bring us!

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
Hey guys,

If a beer advanced to a mini Best Of Show round, WTF does that mean and when do you find out the results?!

Offline Bruce B

• Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • View Profile
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
Hey guys,

If a beer advanced to a mini Best Of Show round, WTF does that mean and when do you find out the results?!

Based on how the question was worded I'm assuming that you got your score sheets back and that you see the Mini-BoS check box filled in.  Large categories are judged by multiple sets of judges.  When all of the entries in the category have been judged the best scoring entries from each set of judges (usually 2 per a set of judges) moves on to the Mini-BoS.  From the entries that move on to the Mini-BoS the eventual first, second, and third place winners are chosen.

So if you cover sheet had the Mini-BoS box checked but no place was awarded that means your entry was one of the finalists for the category but it didn't finish first, second, or third.

Additional details about Mini-BoS can be found here - http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf 

Hope this helps.
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter and Schnapp Hans Cup Competitions
BJCP National & Mead Judge

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2014, 05:22:31 AM »
So if you cover sheet had the Mini-BoS box checked but no place was awarded that means your entry was one of the finalists for the category but it didn't finish first, second, or third.  Additional details about Mini-BoS can be found here - http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf 

Hope this helps.

or, it wasn't marked.  I suggest we make this a focus for next year.  They should be marked and double checked before they go out.

Offline Steve in TX

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2014, 02:53:16 PM »
Finally got my score sheets from Austin. I'm disappointed. Of the two beers I entered, neither was judged by bjcp judges, or they didn't list their bjcp number. Got dinged on carbonation level on my standard saison, could of been a bad seal since the one I just poured is plenty carbonated. Barely any comments to communicate why the beers were scored the way they were. One beer was 31 and the other was 28. The 28 the scores are identical on the two sheets. Next year I'm shipping my beers to Amanda in KC.
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
Finally got my score sheets from Austin. I'm disappointed. Of the two beers I entered, neither was judged by bjcp judges, or they didn't list their bjcp number. Got dinged on carbonation level on my standard saison, could of been a bad seal since the one I just poured is plenty carbonated. Barely any comments to communicate why the beers were scored the way they were. One beer was 31 and the other was 28. The 28 the scores are identical on the two sheets. Next year I'm shipping my beers to Amanda in KC.

Still no word from Seattle.  :(
Maybe in the mailbox this evening.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brew Crew
Oregon Brew Crew
BJCP Certified

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
NHC
« Reply #250 on: April 15, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Still no word from Seattle.  :(
Maybe in the mailbox this evening.

Well, if you get a bad score you can blame Jim and his lady. ;)

No head retention? I poured this 5 minutes ago.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:14:40 PM by Steve in TX »
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee. For every yes vote, Jonathan will send you a can of Heady Topper.

*** This message has not been approved by Jonathan Fuller. All claims of free Heady Topper are in jest and not to be taken seriously. But seriously, he is a great brewer that is 100% committed to helping the AHA and all homebrewers prosper.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 15, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »
Nice glasd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
Glass

- Charles

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
NHC
« Reply #253 on: April 15, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
Nice glasd

Well now I have to get the twin out. I like the bear better. He looks like he'd mess you up while the lion is yelling for mommy.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:32:49 PM by Steve in TX »

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
Technically it's his brother in law

- Charles