Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC  (Read 57479 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2014, 05:38:29 am »
True. I'm no authority on the subject for certain. I was more less referring back to when there were repeat winners. I've heard Gordon say that he used to enter like 40+. I'm not questioning his ability at all. But to me it seems obvious that the less entries people can submit, the harder it will be to win Ninkasi

harder, sure.  but at what point will it have any meaning?  We had something like 8 people win two medals last year with a 15-entry limit.  Only 4 people had more than 6 points (the amount you get with one gold medal).
We could very easily have a 23-way tie between the beer gold medalists this year. 

we'll see...

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2014, 06:26:30 am »
Yes sometime soon the Ninkasi will be un-tie-breakable lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:28 am »
Yes sometime soon the Ninkasi will be un-tie-breakable lol.

I think the last tie breaker is a coin flip so there will always be a "winner"  ;D

I was always amazed with people like Gordon and Jamil that would enter 30-60 beers in the competition.  I find it a pain just to bottle, pack and ship 4 entries.

I added every judging center, except the West Coast as my secondary so hopefully that helps my chances.  The West Coast is just a little too far to ship for me, since it adds a day or two and more chances for UPS to play football with my package  :o
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:55:20 am by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2014, 07:25:13 am »
How does teh coin flip work when there is a twenty way tie? do you do it like a championship bracket? lol  Or maybe use a 20 sided die? lol
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:31 am »
An icosahedral dice. Or just bring everyone on stage and let everyone fight for it. Then, as a surprise, that's not the REAL Ninkasi.  :o

I'd agree that when you start getting a lot of ties, what's the point of picking a random 'winner'.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:37 am »
I think there are a number of tie breakers before that point.  1st round points, beard length, bribes to the GC, etc

;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 07:52:33 am »
That's true. I remember hearing that there were a dozen or so tiebreaking rules.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:19 am »
True. I'm no authority on the subject for certain. I was more less referring back to when there were repeat winners. I've heard Gordon say that he used to enter like 40+. I'm not questioning his ability at all. But to me it seems obvious that the less entries people can submit, the harder it will be to win Ninkasi
Yeah, I'm just not a fan of the machine gun tactic. Shotgun perhaps.  I think sending your six best is more than reasonable for a popular national competition with limited judging resources. 
Thanks AHA, looks like things are going pretty well this year so far.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:44 am »
Twenty way knife fight. That should happen on stage regardless of whether there is a tie. It's just something people want to see.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 09:30:57 am »
Twenty way knife fight. That should happen on stage regardless of whether there is a tie. It's just something people want to see.
If it does happen it will be over the Brewing Network winning the Homebrew Club of the Year.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2014, 09:33:37 am »
If it does happen it will be over the Brewing Network winning the Homebrew Club of the Year.

Is this the homebrew equivalent to Godwin's Rule?

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:44 am »
With limited entries, one possible thought in regard to Ninkasi is make the first criteria the total number of medals won in the final round.  For instance if 2 people win 3 medals (of any color) they are the only two in contention.  To me, a silver and a bronze in the final (or even 2 bronzes) is more impressive than a single gold...... if we are talking about Ninkasi. 

By the time you are talking about medaling in the final round....... they are ALL great beers.  If Ninkasi is about who can brew the greatest number of great beers.... well, the first criteria should be who is winning the most medals.  From there, go with a point system.  That would make it less likely that there is the 23-way tie scenario.

Or, maybe incorporate points from both the first round and the second round right off the bat....

Just a thought - as entries are limited, it will become a case of a single gold possibly carrying enough weight to make the Ninkasi pretty crazy.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2014, 09:40:26 am »
These are this year's Ninkasi tiebreaker rules. Edit: 2 and 3 are identical. Typo?

• The number of medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most medals will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
  • The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
  • The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
  • The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest entries in the Final Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
  • Points will be calculated for tying brewers’ entries that placed in the First Round of the NHC based on the same scale as used in the Final Round. The brewer with the most points in the First Round will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
  • The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the most entries placing in the First Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
  • The total number of entries registered for the First Round of the competition will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest registered entries will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
  • The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:43:37 am by mtnrockhopper »
AHA Member since 2006

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2014, 09:43:25 am »
Mtnrockhopper just beat me to posting last years rules.  I wanted to note that some of the final rules were inspired by suggestions on this forum, proof that the AHA pays attention here

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45:59 am »
Hi all,

The tie-breaker rules for the Ninkasi Award are posted in the NHC Rules & Regulations (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/).  The tie-breaker criteria was expanded last year to account for the increased possibility of ties occurring.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org