Author Topic: NHC  (Read 17045 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: NHC
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
I do remember ties even when there were no limits on entries. There was a 3 way tie in San Diego.

So there you go, tiebreakers were needed, and will be needed.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
Honestly, I can't figure out where #6 is going. It starts as a duplicate of 4 and then switches rounds.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
Hi all,

The tie-breaker rules for the Ninkasi Award are posted in the NHC Rules & Regulations (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/).  The tie-breaker criteria was expanded last year to account for the increased possibility of ties occurring.

Cheers,
Janis

I assume "C" should say "Silver"...or perhaps is just a typo that the same one was in there twice?
also, I still don't understand why "d" and "f" are basically the opposite...I brought this up with Gary last year.

d) says fewest Final Round entries
f) says most First Round Entries placing, which = most Final Round entries

(f could instead say fewest First Round entries...just a thought.)

Final Round, the following tie-breaker criteria will apply.
a.The number of medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most medals will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
b.The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
c.The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
d.The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest entries in the Final Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
e.Points will be calculated for tying brewers’ entries that placed in the First Round of the NHC based on the same scale as used in the Final Round. The brewer with the most points in the First Round will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
f.The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the most entries placing in the First Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
g.The total number of entries registered for the First Round of the competition will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest registered entries will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
h.The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »
Hi all,

The tie-breaker rules for the Ninkasi Award are posted in the NHC Rules & Regulations (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/competitions/national-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/).  The tie-breaker criteria was expanded last year to account for the increased possibility of ties occurring.

Cheers,
Janis

I assume "C" should say "Silver"...or perhaps is just a typo that the same one was in there twice?
also, I still don't understand why "d" and "f" are basically the opposite...I brought this up with Gary last year.

d) says fewest Final Round entries
f) says most First Round Entries placing, which = most Final Round entries

(f could instead say fewest First Round entries...just a thought.)

Final Round, the following tie-breaker criteria will apply.
a.The number of medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most medals will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
b.The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
c.The number of Gold medals earned in the Final Round will be tallied, and the brewer with the most Gold medals will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
d.The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest entries in the Final Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
e.Points will be calculated for tying brewers’ entries that placed in the First Round of the NHC based on the same scale as used in the Final Round. The brewer with the most points in the First Round will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
f.The number of entries qualifying for the Final Round will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the most entries placing in the First Round will be declared the winner. In case a tie still exists,
g.The total number of entries registered for the First Round of the competition will be tallied for each tying brewer, and the brewer with the fewest registered entries will be declared the winner. If a tie still exists,
h.The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.
G is fewest first round entries, so it can't be F too.

Right. If you've arrived at F, you're guaranteed to get a tie because F = D and D is already a tie. This is going to drive me crazy. 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for pointing out the repeated rule in the Ninkasi Tiebreaker.  That has been fixed.  Thanks.  The tiebreaker list was the result of the AHA Governing Committee Competition Subcommittee discussions following the 2012 National Homebrew Competition.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »
Twenty way knife fight. That should happen on stage regardless of whether there is a tie. It's just something people want to see.
If it does happen it will be over the Brewing Network winning the Homebrew Club of the Year.
Oh dear lord, let's not start this argument again!  ;)
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for pointing out the repeated rule in the Ninkasi Tiebreaker.  That has been fixed.  Thanks.  The tiebreaker list was the result of the AHA Governing Committee Competition Subcommittee discussions following the 2012 National Homebrew Competition.

Cheers,
Janis

as always, your hard work is appreciated. 
...just my OCD showing up again.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
Twenty way knife fight. That should happen on stage regardless of whether there is a tie. It's just something people want to see.
If it does happen it will be over the Brewing Network winning the Homebrew Club of the Year.
Oh dear lord, let's not start this argument again!  ;)
As suggested I think the 'argument' will be settled this year with knives. lol
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:17 PM »
I'll just point out that the last tiebreaker is...

g-  The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline dkfick

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Better get that cage built for Grand Rapids.  I'm already training.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
I'll just point out that the last tiebreaker is...

g-  The winner will be selected using a random selection method. A random method such as rock-paper-scissors, steel cage death match, or a coin flip will be applied at the discretion of the competition organizers to determine the winner.

We'll break that tie, even if it kills someone....    ;)

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
Better get that cage built for Grand Rapids.  I'm already training.
Unfortunately, after thinking about those rules for a day and doing some math in my head, I've decided that most of the tiebreakers will be almost useless under this year's entry limits. Not completely useless, but almost. For example, the last one about tallying total first round entries - most will be entering the similar numbers of beers this year.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »
It does make sense though. Two way tie with four golds each, except one of them only sent four and the other had one that was a 13...

Online Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 07:21:40 AM »
It does make sense though. Two way tie with four golds each, except one of them only sent four and the other had one that was a 13...
I agree it's a fine tiebreaker. But this year the other will not have sent 13. Far more likely to have 4 golds each, and they each sent the max of 5 beers.

Edit: If you send 5 beers to NHC and win 4 gold medals, you're OK in my book.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »
I agree it's a fine tiebreaker. But this year the other will not have sent 13. Far more likely to have 4 golds each, and they each sent the max of 5 beers.

Edit: If you send 5 beers to NHC and win 4 gold medals, you're OK in my book.

Has anyone ever won 4 at the same NHC competition?
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!