Author Topic: NHC  (Read 16598 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: NHC
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2014, 09:09:11 AM »
It does make sense though. Two way tie with four golds each, except one of them only sent four and the other had one that was a 13...
I agree it's a fine tiebreaker. But this year the other will not have sent 13. Far more likely to have 4 golds each, and they each sent the max of 5 beers.

Edit: If you send 5 beers to NHC and win 4 gold medals, you're OK in my book.

we haven't heard any numbers, but from previous interest levels it feels more like we'll have three people tied with two silver medals out of the max of 3 entries...

it could still work out though, and it is what it is.  A victim of our hobby's awesomeness/growth.

I will say that I'd like to see any random selection methods avoided at all costs.  if it comes down to that, I'd give it to the person who won the biggest categories before I'd flip a coin.  I have less problem with steel cage matches.   ;D

but that's, just, like, my opinion, man!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
I will say that I'd like to see any random selection methods avoided at all costs. 
I agree. Winning by a coin toss will take away some of the coolness. If I were the winner, I'd rather they just declare it a tie. Or at least recognize all the tied winners and use the coin toss to pick who gets the trophy, but officially call it a tie. It'll work out - in the end we're all making beer!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
I will say that I'd like to see any random selection methods avoided at all costs. 
I agree. Winning by a coin toss will take away some of the coolness. If I were the winner, I'd rather they just declare it a tie. Or at least recognize all the tied winners and use the coin toss to pick who gets the trophy, but officially call it a tie. It'll work out - in the end we're all making beer!

I see 23 largely bearded and carrying a few extra lbs homebrewers on stage tied for first place.  Janis turns around and throws the Ninkasi bouquet over her shoulder; hilarity ensues. 

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2014, 09:32:51 AM »
I see 23 largely bearded and carrying a few extra lbs homebrewers on stage tied for first place.  Janis turns around and throws the Ninkasi bouquet over her shoulder; hilarity ensues. 
That would be even BETTER than a steel cage match!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline james

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
I think it's cool that someone can enter 1 beer in the first round and potentially win Ninkasi as well as Homebrewer of the Year.  Maybe that should be the new goal, winning more with less

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
max of 4 entries isn't too bad.  feel bad for the 7% who couldn't get in though.
again, popular hobby...

good luck to the 3K+ brewers competing this year!

Online ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
I wonder if those who didn't get in could be offered the chance to enter in the centers that aren't full?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
I wonder if those who didn't get in could be offered the chance to enter in the centers that aren't full?

That is why you put in alternate judging centers.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online ranchovillabrew

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »
True. I put San Diego as first choice,  but also Sacramento,  Seattle and Denver as alternates.  Hopefully I got into one of them.

- Charles

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
The article says that the 7% will be given a shot at abandoned registrations

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
Can't find the article Jim, point me to it.
Jeff Rankert

Offline james

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2014, 09:42:31 PM »
So, tie breaker X should be winner is person who got in by skin of his/her teeth when someone failed to pay

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2014, 09:45:04 PM »

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/national-homebrew-competition-entry-registration-lottery/

Thanks, thought it would be on the main page. Well, now we know the demand as far as number of brewers.

Edit - clubs e-mail list is asking if anyone has been notified. None so far. Anyone?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:47:56 PM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert

Offline james

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2014, 09:53:09 PM »

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/national-homebrew-competition-entry-registration-lottery/

Thanks, thought it would be on the main page. Well, now we know the demand as far as number of brewers.

Edit - clubs e-mail list is asking if anyone has been notified. None so far. Anyone?

I know 1 person so far that has received email, I also know other people from same region who did not receive it yet.    Based on my small data set I'll speculate that people with last names starting with A received their email and every hour another letter should go out.